Re: Daily Practice

  • judirhodes <judirhodes@zianet.com>
    Message 1 of 79 , Feb 1, 2003
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > I think it is likely that for 99+% of people, meditation is the
      > valuable bridge that Ganga speaks of,

      ******* There really is no bridge, it's either one or the other and
      never the twain shall meet. "Meditation" is just another act
      of "doing" or "not doing" which leads nowhere except in circles.
      Understanding that entire activity, which is all "self" referential
      is another matter entirely. In other words, you can meditate from now
      till the cows come home and I'm sure you can have some wunnerful
      peaceful experiences, you can even experience oneness with god. But
      understanding, like I said, undermines ALL experience, mundane or
      sublime. It's complete freedom from all experiential adventure.

      and not just some trivial thing

    • G <crystalkundalini@hotmail.com>
      Message 79 of 79 , Feb 3, 2003
        <tosime@b...> wrote:
        > I am still a few days behind. However this quote seemed a
        nice fit for the
        > daily practice thread.
        > ...Tony
        > Charlotte Joko Beck
        > How old were you when you started meditating?
        > Beck: Thirty-nine, forty, somewhere in there.
        > Did you have any realization through meditation?
        > No. Of course we have realizations, but that's not what really
        > practice.
        > Will you say more about that?
        > I meet all sorts of people who've had all sorts of experiences
        > they're still confused and not doing well in their life.
        > are not enough. My students learn that if they have so-called
        > experiences, I really don't care much about hearing about
        them. I just
        > tell them, "Yeah, that's OK. Don't hold onto it. And how are you
        > getting along with your mother?" Otherwise, they get stuck
        > It's not the important thing in practice.
        > And may I ask you what is?
        > Learning to deal with one's personal, egotistical self. That's the
        > work. Very, very difficult.
        > There seems to be a payoff, though, because you feel alive
        instead of
        > dead.
        > I wouldn't say a payoff. You're returning to the source, you might
        > say-what you always were, but which was severely covered by
        your core
        > belief and all its systems. And when those get weaker, you do
        > joy. I mean, then it's no big deal to do the dishes and clean up
        > house and go to work and things like that.
        > Doing the dishes is a great meditation-especially if you hate it.
        > Well, if your mind wanders to other things while your doing the
        > dishes, just return it to the dishes. Meditation isn't something
        > special. It's not a special way of being. It's simply being aware
        > what is going on.
        > Does sitting meditation prepare the ground to do that?
        > Sure. It gives you the strength to face the more complex things
        > your life. You're not meeting anything much when your sitting
        > your little mind. That's relatively easy when compared to some
        of the
        > complex situation we have to live out way through. Sitting gives
        > the ability to work with your life.
        > I read your books.
        > Oh you read. Well, give up reading, OK?
        > Give up reading your books?
        > Well, they're all tight. Read them once and that's enough.
        Books are
        > useful. But some people read for fifty years, you know. And they
        > haven't begun their practice.
        > How would you describe self-discovery?
        > You're really just an ongoing set of events: boom, boom, boom,
        > boom, one after the other. The awareness is keeping up with
        > events, seeing your life unfolding as it is-not your ideas of it,
        > your pictures of it. See what I mean?
        > How would you define meditation?
        > Awareness of what, mentally, physically.
        > Can you please complete the following sentence for me. "The
        > experience of meditation is..."
        > "...awareness of what is."
        > "Meditative awareness has changes my life in the following
        > "It has changed my life in the direction of it being more
        > more satisfactory, more joyful, and more useful, probably."
        Though I
        > don't think much in those terms. I don't wake up in the morning
        > thinking, I'm going to be useful. I really think about what I'm
        > to have for breakfast.
        > "The one thing awareness has taught me that I want to share
        with all
        > people is that..."
        > I don't want to share anything with all people.
        > Who do you want to share with?
        > Nobody. I just live my life. I don't go around wanting to share
        > something. That's extra.
        > Could you talk about that a little bit?
        > Well, there's a little shade of piety that creeps into practice. You
        > know, "I have this wonderful practice, I want to share it with
        > everyone." There's an error in that. You could probably figure it
        > yourself.
        > I think that's something I need to learn.
        > You and I know there's nothing that's going to make me run
        > faster than somebody who comes around and wants to be
        helpful. You
        > know what I mean? I don't want people to be helpful to me. I
        > want to live my own life.
        > Do you think you share yourself?
        > Yeah, but who's that?

        G: i agree with this in the way that *realizations* and
        *experience* is used these are transitory and fleeting.... i call
        them insights and phenomena....
        this is quite different than *Realization* which blows out
        conceptual insights and phenomena ....

        shanti om ..g..