Some Questions

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 14, 2002
      I'm a student, and I'm rather dissatisfied how much time I spend
      doing useless things when I should be doing schoolwork. I also don't
      get much sleep.

      I've tried a meditation technique for concentration in which one sits
      with their eyes closed, concentrating on the point between their
      eyebrows while mentally saying Hong/Sau on each
      inhalation/exhalation. This is for 12 sets of 12 breaths. I tried
      this for about a week, and after while I became impatient and
      stopped. I tried it again today and I realized that its very
      difficult to find this spot between your eyebrows with your eyes
      closed.

      Are there any meditative techniques to combat my lack of willpower
      and lack of sleep? How can I find that spot between my eyebrows with
      my eyes closed and how long does it take until the effects of
      meditation show themselves?
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 15, 2002
        The main thing I want to suggest is that you keep trying to meditate.
        It is possible that the 3rd eye technique isn't the right one for
        you, or perhaps that you need to do it by itself, and not try to
        combine it with the breath awareness method.The main thing is that
        you are becoming more and more at one with your inner Witness, which
        is your "Real Self". The 3rd eye technique is detailed at
        and you may well benefit by reviewing it.Similarly, the Soham
        technique can be found at http://www.meditationsociety.com/week.html
        This is the most common form of the Hong/Sau technique you refer to.
        They are both excellent methods to concentrate on. Both can take
        years to "master". Meditation simply will come to you and the effort
        to concentrate will not be needed. It's a matter of Grace. As far as
        relaxing enough to sleep, tensing each body part for about 12
        seconds, and then relaxing them, in sequence (usually going from the
        toes on up the body to the top of your head). This works very well to
        set the stage for a tension free entry into the sleep phase. But,
        whatever level of consciousness you are in, practice the habit of
        silently Witnessing your life as it takes place. This will bring
        focus and Self control as well as Self knowledge to you. Your inner
        Witness is always available to you. Simply stop reacting to the
        distractions that have taken your focus away. I want to suggest one
        more technique that is very good at letting you start recognizing how
        your mind distracts you. It is the Blank Screen technique and can be
        found at
        http://www.meditationsociety.com/week.html
        In any event, please be kind to your Self. and don't consider
        yourself as a failure or anything negative when you "fail" at
        meditation. I really believe that those are the best meditations
        because they offer the opportunity to Witness what is distracting
        you. You will inevitably, eventually eliminate them and there
        revealed to you will be the glorious divine Reality that you
        are,always have been, and always will be a part of. And you will live
        happily ever after.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2002
          Thank you.