Re: Reposting Famous Dead Guys (tm) Wisdom

  • eveneon
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12 4:51 AM
      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > There have been some comments recently on other newsgroups dealing
      > with the appropriateness of posting things that deceased teachers
      > have said. How do you feel about this? Personally, I think if it
      > pertains to helping understand the answer to a question, it is
      > definitly OK, but to just post it to share is another story that
      > requires a righteous motivation.

      I'm not sure I understand how the person being deceased makes any
      difference in whether or not something it is appropriate. It comes
      down to motivation, like you said. The questions is, how do you know
      what someone's motivation is? And, actually, consider the possibility
      that someone may post something for selfish reasons but someone may
      read it and gain something positive from it anyway. So...it's really
      hard to say if it is appropiate or not.

      > question was partly stimulated by an Email I received from a
      student
      > who had been going through her notes from class and really felt she
      > "heard" something loud and clear that had earlier not really
      > registered when she first heard it. Here's the quote she responded
      to:

      > Bhagavan Ramana:
      > "Seek the Self through meditation.
      > In this manner, trace every thought back to its
      > origin, which is only the mind. Never allow thought
      > to run on. If you do, it will be unending. Take it
      > back to its starting place, the mind, again and
      > again, and it and the mind will both die of
      > inaction. The mind exists only by reason of
      > thought. Stop that and there is no mind. As each
      > doubt and depression arises, ask yourself, "Who is
      > it that doubts? What is it that is depressed?" Go
      > back constantly to the question, "Who is the 'I'?
      > Where is it?" Tear everything away until there is
      > nothing but the Source of all left. And then - live
      > always in the present and only in it. There is no
      > past or future, save in the mind."

      I don't think I have ever read this before. I like it. Especially the
      line "The mind exists only by reason of thought." Reading something
      like this reminds me to witness my mind's activity. To notice whether
      I am "caught up" in my own mind at any given moment.
    • tjperez
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 10:22 AM
        I'm not sure if I understand what the question is. I can think of
        many topics discussed today that were quoted from deceased
        teachers. For instance, Albert Einstein. I think all of us could
        easily find many quotes by him. I think it's a great way for their
        memories (and knowledge) to live on.

        Again, I'm not sure who in particular you are talking about and if
        there is some religious reason why he shouldn't be quoted then I
        apologize.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12 1:04 PM
          Thanks for the input. What has been going on is that there are a few
          people who post many times daily, parts of things that they have found
          in FDG (Famous Dead Guys tm) books. There seems to be no other reason
          than to show that they have read alot of different things and like
          being credited with finding them. Sort of like bringing in things for
          "show and tell" in kindergarten. This is happening regularly on at
          least 2 newsgroups, and there are alot of pro and con feelings about
          this. On another newsgroup, when the moderator hasn't received
          anything new, or just to fill up space, they cite quote after quote
          from their own favorite teachers. So, what we might look at is the
          intention behind what is being shared. Let me quote a not-so-famous
          living guy (NSFLG?), Kir Li Molari..."There is nothing better than to
          share those things that have helped you evolve in consciousness, and
          there is nothing so hindering than to divert someones attention away
          from Witnessing their life as it takes place, just to feed your own
          ego."

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tjperez" <tjperez@y...>