Reposting Famous Dead Guys (tm) Wisdom

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 9 7:56 AM
      There have been some comments recently on other newsgroups dealing
      with the appropriateness of posting things that deceased teachers
      have said. How do you feel about this? Personally, I think if it
      pertains to helping understand the answer to a question, it is
      definitly OK, but to just post it to share is another story that
      requires a righteous motivation. For instance, one way to validate
      the postings is if they have helped you "wake up". But it seems that
      very often it is just so the poster gets to see their name associated
      with the famous dead guy(tm), or to somehow convey "Look how well
      read I am, so respect me for having such a wide amount of knowledge",
      or something like that. We have the opportunity here to have original
      input from living famous (and not so famous)ladies and guys, so why
      resort to restating so called "wisdom" from others? What do you
      think? Or, maybe more importantly, what's your gut feeling? This
      question was partly stimulated by an Email I received from a student
      who had been going through her notes from class and really felt she
      "heard" something loud and clear that had earlier not really
      registered when she first heard it. Here's the quote she responded to:

      Bhagavan Ramana:
      "Seek the Self through meditation.
      In this manner, trace every thought back to its
      origin, which is only the mind. Never allow thought
      to run on. If you do, it will be unending. Take it
      back to its starting place, the mind, again and
      again, and it and the mind will both die of
      inaction. The mind exists only by reason of
      thought. Stop that and there is no mind. As each
      doubt and depression arises, ask yourself, "Who is
      it that doubts? What is it that is depressed?" Go
      back constantly to the question, "Who is the 'I'?
      Where is it?" Tear everything away until there is
      nothing but the Source of all left. And then - live
      always in the present and only in it. There is no
      past or future, save in the mind."

      Obviously, wisdom from the wise, and since it fits the criteria
      stated above about helping "wake up" someone, I'm posting it, as she
      requested. Well, unless this has helped you stop thinking, please
      share what do you think.
    • eveneon
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 4:51 AM
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > There have been some comments recently on other newsgroups dealing
        > with the appropriateness of posting things that deceased teachers
        > have said. How do you feel about this? Personally, I think if it
        > pertains to helping understand the answer to a question, it is
        > definitly OK, but to just post it to share is another story that
        > requires a righteous motivation.

        I'm not sure I understand how the person being deceased makes any
        difference in whether or not something it is appropriate. It comes
        down to motivation, like you said. The questions is, how do you know
        what someone's motivation is? And, actually, consider the possibility
        that someone may post something for selfish reasons but someone may
        read it and gain something positive from it anyway. So...it's really
        hard to say if it is appropiate or not.

        > question was partly stimulated by an Email I received from a
        student
        > who had been going through her notes from class and really felt she
        > "heard" something loud and clear that had earlier not really
        > registered when she first heard it. Here's the quote she responded
        to:

        > Bhagavan Ramana:
        > "Seek the Self through meditation.
        > In this manner, trace every thought back to its
        > origin, which is only the mind. Never allow thought
        > to run on. If you do, it will be unending. Take it
        > back to its starting place, the mind, again and
        > again, and it and the mind will both die of
        > inaction. The mind exists only by reason of
        > thought. Stop that and there is no mind. As each
        > doubt and depression arises, ask yourself, "Who is
        > it that doubts? What is it that is depressed?" Go
        > back constantly to the question, "Who is the 'I'?
        > Where is it?" Tear everything away until there is
        > nothing but the Source of all left. And then - live
        > always in the present and only in it. There is no
        > past or future, save in the mind."

        I don't think I have ever read this before. I like it. Especially the
        line "The mind exists only by reason of thought." Reading something
        like this reminds me to witness my mind's activity. To notice whether
        I am "caught up" in my own mind at any given moment.
      • tjperez
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12 10:22 AM
          I'm not sure if I understand what the question is. I can think of
          many topics discussed today that were quoted from deceased
          teachers. For instance, Albert Einstein. I think all of us could
          easily find many quotes by him. I think it's a great way for their
          memories (and knowledge) to live on.

          Again, I'm not sure who in particular you are talking about and if
          there is some religious reason why he shouldn't be quoted then I
          apologize.

          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., eveneon <no_reply@y...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 12 1:04 PM
            Thanks for the input. What has been going on is that there are a few
            people who post many times daily, parts of things that they have found
            in FDG (Famous Dead Guys tm) books. There seems to be no other reason
            than to show that they have read alot of different things and like
            being credited with finding them. Sort of like bringing in things for
            "show and tell" in kindergarten. This is happening regularly on at
            least 2 newsgroups, and there are alot of pro and con feelings about
            this. On another newsgroup, when the moderator hasn't received
            anything new, or just to fill up space, they cite quote after quote
            from their own favorite teachers. So, what we might look at is the
            intention behind what is being shared. Let me quote a not-so-famous
            living guy (NSFLG?), Kir Li Molari..."There is nothing better than to
            share those things that have helped you evolve in consciousness, and
            there is nothing so hindering than to divert someones attention away
            from Witnessing their life as it takes place, just to feed your own
            ego."

            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "tjperez" <tjperez@y...>