Re: Fasting, Meditation and Sleep-needs (again!)

  • tjperez
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
      Namaste,

      For me, there is a big correlation between meditation and sleep. My
      problem is that I don't sleep as well as I should and the purpose of
      meditation is to purge my mind of all worries and problems so I can
      relax better at night. I am new to this but it does seem to work as
      I feel wonderful afterwards. Generally, I trance about 20-40
      minutes. I'm actually able to get an extra hour or two more of
      sleep because it.

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
      <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
      > (This topic - sleep needs - is of great interest for me, so I
      really needed
      > to ask again :-) Also, thanks to Elizabeth, babs and Bob for their
      support!)

      > How many hours of sleep do you have each night? And before starting
      > meditation? Do you think there could be a correlation between
      meditation and
      > sleep - say, you usually sleep 8 hours, but one day you spend 2
      hours on
      > deep meditation; would these 2 hours count as x (?) hours of sleep?
      >
      > Anyone noticed decreased amount of sleep needed when fasting?
      (After how
      > many days did you notice it?)
      >
      > When studying Budhism with a Chen Tao monk, I was instructed to
      limit my
      > sleeping time to 4h30 - which I just couldn't do, though I REALLY
      tried -
      > after 2 or 3 days I just wouldn't get up! (I know each person has
      an amount
      > of time needed, ..., BUT I would still love to hear YOUR
      numbers...)

      > Peace!
      > Namaste!
      > Oss!
      > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil - sorry for the "poor English")

    • babspiscot
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
        Hi Gustavo!
        Your English is great, you don't need to appologize for it.
        I'm a begginer on this path, but in the about two month since I
        started meditation, my sleep needs diminished a lot. Before I needed
        7,5-8 hours of sleep and now 6-6,5 hours do the job. But there's a
        possible confounding factor: I used to be a smoker and I quit about 6
        weeks ago. This could also influence my sleep needs.
        Good luck, Babs.