Fasting, Meditation and Sleep-needs (again!)

  • Gustavo Daud Amadera
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 6, 2002
      (This topic - sleep needs - is of great interest for me, so I really needed
      to ask again :-) Also, thanks to Elizabeth, babs and Bob for their support!)

      How many hours of sleep do you have each night? And before starting
      meditation? Do you think there could be a correlation between meditation and
      sleep - say, you usually sleep 8 hours, but one day you spend 2 hours on
      deep meditation; would these 2 hours count as x (?) hours of sleep?

      Anyone noticed decreased amount of sleep needed when fasting? (After how
      many days did you notice it?)

      When studying Budhism with a Chen Tao monk, I was instructed to limit my
      sleeping time to 4h30 - which I just couldn't do, though I REALLY tried -
      after 2 or 3 days I just wouldn't get up! (I know each person has an amount
      of time needed, ..., BUT I would still love to hear YOUR numbers...)

      Peace!
      Namaste!
      Oss!
      Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil - sorry for the "poor English")

    • tjperez
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
        Namaste,

        For me, there is a big correlation between meditation and sleep. My
        problem is that I don't sleep as well as I should and the purpose of
        meditation is to purge my mind of all worries and problems so I can
        relax better at night. I am new to this but it does seem to work as
        I feel wonderful afterwards. Generally, I trance about 20-40
        minutes. I'm actually able to get an extra hour or two more of
        sleep because it.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
        <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
        > (This topic - sleep needs - is of great interest for me, so I
        really needed
        > to ask again :-) Also, thanks to Elizabeth, babs and Bob for their
        support!)

        > How many hours of sleep do you have each night? And before starting
        > meditation? Do you think there could be a correlation between
        meditation and
        > sleep - say, you usually sleep 8 hours, but one day you spend 2
        hours on
        > deep meditation; would these 2 hours count as x (?) hours of sleep?
        >
        > Anyone noticed decreased amount of sleep needed when fasting?
        (After how
        > many days did you notice it?)
        >
        > When studying Budhism with a Chen Tao monk, I was instructed to
        limit my
        > sleeping time to 4h30 - which I just couldn't do, though I REALLY
        tried -
        > after 2 or 3 days I just wouldn't get up! (I know each person has
        an amount
        > of time needed, ..., BUT I would still love to hear YOUR
        numbers...)

        > Peace!
        > Namaste!
        > Oss!
        > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil - sorry for the "poor English")

      • babspiscot
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 7, 2002
          Hi Gustavo!
          Your English is great, you don't need to appologize for it.
          I'm a begginer on this path, but in the about two month since I
          started meditation, my sleep needs diminished a lot. Before I needed
          7,5-8 hours of sleep and now 6-6,5 hours do the job. But there's a
          possible confounding factor: I used to be a smoker and I quit about 6
          weeks ago. This could also influence my sleep needs.
          Good luck, Babs.