meditation, effortless happiness, fasting and vegetarianism

  • sinimat78
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5 8:19 AM
      Hello and peace. Thank you for this group, for it is very encouraging
      to hear what others are going through as well. I've been meditating
      for only a couple of weeks and I really feel like I'm starting to
      gain control over my life again. I was really in a bad place a while
      back, but things have really been turning around lately. My ego is
      still putting up a fight, but I know that perserverance will pay off.
      I meditate twice a day for 20 min. each session, usually first
      focusing on my breath and then chanting OM MANI PEME HUNG. During my
      normal day, I've had some very peaceful moments, where my mind is
      completely quiet. As my meditation practice increases, will I have
      more of these moments? Is this my true nature and will I eventually
      be able to maintain this forever? Also, I find that I can, almost at
      any moment, just make myself happy, by smiling in my heart and on my
      face. If I keep doing this consciously, will I eventually be like
      this without effort (which is what we all want, I think)? Finally,
      I've really been thinking about fasting (for the first time) to detox
      my body and aid my meditation practice. I'm also really considering
      becoming a vegetarian. I only eat fish or chicken like once a week
      now, but I think I eventually want to become a vegetarian. Does
      anyone have any comments on fasting, vegetarianism and the above
      questions about effortless happiness? Thank you all again and peace.
      Matthew
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 5 9:49 AM
        Dear Matthew,
        You are off to a good start, and are using one of the most powerful
        possible mantras in OM MANI PADME HUNG (Here's a good site to learn
        more about this mantra):
        http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/meaning-of-om-mani-padme-hung.htm
        There are many more elevating and spiritually evolutionary things
        ahead for you. For instance, you can start becoming more and more
        aware of your life as it takes place. Your Inner Witness will do
        this, and every moment spent this way, disarms the suffering your
        inner Chatterer brings to you. Witness your breath, and you are
        positioned to be aware of your habitual reactivity. You will
        automatically start to shed those things that squander energy and
        take
        your peace away. Remove those things in your life that prevent your
        inner smile from arising. Do those things that stimulate it. Fasting
        is a great way to cleanse, but fasting mentally and emotionally from
        negativity is more purifying than fasting from food. As a vegetarian
        for 38 years, I can't be objective about this at all, but I feel that
        when it is the right time for you to do this, it will happen on its
        own. You will have to become proficient in concentration and this
        usually takes an effort. Then meditation simply comes to you
        effortlessly. We have all the "answers" within us, and when we are
        empty we will fill with all we need for everlasting peace, knowledge,
        awareness, and bliss. Meditation is the best pointer to the things
        that have been preventing our ever-present inner love and beauty from
        filling us. By itself it can't do anything. Grace brings things to us
        (that's what "Thy will be done" is all about). But we can start to
        cleanse and prepare ourselves. After all, a pharmacist will not fill
        bottle with healing medicine unless the bottle is completely free of
        contamination. Can anything less be expected of the Highest? Be
        regular in your practice, persevere. It's hard at times to let things
        happen easily. Swami Sivananda wrote over 350 books, and he summed up
        his whole teaching with this final (for now) suggestionÂ…. "Be
        good. Do
        good." I hope this helps.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., sinimat78 <no_reply@y...>