Re: Meditation Expereince

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3 9:57 PM
      Dear Tony,
      Thanks! You have shared so many brilliant in-sight-full things. You
      did everything just the way you were supposed to and have come to the
      exactly correct conclusions, and have the perfect questions remaining
      that you should have. This has been your path and like everyone's
      path, it has ups, downs, and turn-arounds. At times, for instance,
      you found your experiments with inner sounds "to be an excellent way
      to go deeper and deeper into my meditation." This is usually
      considered a very good thing, but it led to your questioning "But is
      this where one should go? … My sense is that by relaxing and
      letting your inner self take control, it will lead you in the right
      direction at the right pace." And this is definitely a very wise
      insight. The same with your observation that "I had the feeling that
      aiming for the sensations of bliss, while pleasant, could be
      limiting." I could go on and on, but I think I will just summarize
      by saying that you are certainly in the right direction and that is
      infinite in all directions. Your journey has been your individual
      experience, but is one that all meditators can relate to. Thanks
      again for sharing!

      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., tosime@s... wrote:
      > Hi Everyone,
      > Thanks for your excellent advice. This has been a big help to me,
      especially the Hu chant. I think I should have mentioned that I
      practiced an inner sounds meditation technique where I used ear plugs
      and listened to my inner sounds. I think this approach contributed to
      my "sound current" experience. I suspended my meditation because I
      felt I was subtly expecting too much from the practice and this was
      influencing my sessions. My sense is that meditation helps a natural
      process unfold. However, if you push too hard, expecting
      enlightenment or higher levels of consciousness, this disturbs the
      process and you can get stuck in some corner.
      I found myself experimenting a lot. While I had some success and
      gained some insights I felt overall, I was doing more harm than good.
      An example of one of my techniques is to focus on the most subtle
      sound out of all the sounds I can hear. This produced an effect
      similar to going through a door into another room. In this room of
      subtler sounds I would repeat the process and go deeper still. I
      found this to be an excellent way to go deeper and deeper into my
      meditation. But is this where one should go? Are you not moving too
      fast? My sense is that by relaxing and letting your inner self take
      control, it will lead you in the right direction at the right pace. I
      had the feeling that aiming for the sensations of bliss, while
      pleasant, could be limiting. I could not be sure if the feelings
      would take me further or if they were a diversion - like a pretty
      scene on a journey. By suspending my meditation, I can start on a
      fresh slate and be more open to different directions. One point
      though is that I felt the feelings of bliss were healthy, that is they
      contributed to my improved physical and mental health and helped me
      cope with the stress of day to day living. My personal explanation of
      the sounds and the feelings of bliss is that I opened up one of my
      glands that produces endorphins. I appear to have made more conscious
      a normally subconscious process.
      Thank you again for your insights. I welcome additional comments.
      ...Tony