Re: meditation and sleep needs

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      Dear Gustavo,
      As a mental health professional, I have to suggest you follow your
      doctors directions, although I am doubtful that he is basing his
      "Depression" diagnosis just on your waking up earlier. As we progress
      in our meditative practice, it is common to start becoming aware of
      how we are squandering energy needlessly. For instance, we may
      realize that we cringe and tighten up all our muscles whenever our
      mother-in-law or our boss enters the room. When we recognize this
      reaction, we no longer may do it habitually, and thus start to
      conserve the energy that we would have normally wasted in getting
      uptight. This ultimately leads to having more energy overall, and
      lessens the amount of time we need to sleep to replenish it.
      Similarly, we may even start reacting with laughter whenever we see
      ourselves doing dumb, energy wasting, habitual reactive motions, like
      twiddeling our thumbs, scratching body parts that aren't itching,
      playing with our hair, and so on. We then not only start to save the
      squandered energy by not doing these unconscious energy-wasting
      things, we gain energy by our laughter. Also, as we evolve in
      meditation, at night, it becomes easier and easier to let go of
      things we would tend to go over and over, thus allowing our sleep to
      be of a better, more refreshing quality. I wish you well, and hope
      your sleep is pleasant, beneficial, and helps end any depression you
      are going through.
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
      <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
      practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
      depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

      > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
      did.
      My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).