Re: meditation and sleep needs

  • whitefeatherliz
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
      <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
      > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
      practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
      depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

      > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
      did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

      > Thanks for any light on the subject!
      >
      > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

      Hi Gustavo,
      You state above... Thanks for any light on the subject! My thought
      here when you mention depression, is maybe you lack sunlight; light
      starvation in other words. Not sure what season you are in in Brazil
      ( maybe rainy?) But I have heard sometimes the lack of sunlight can
      be a cause for depression. Not just the idea of waking up earlier,
      but also sleeping too much can be a sign of depression. Do you nap
      during the day? When do you practise meditation? And do you sleep
      after a time when doing this? If so I would recommend setting a
      timer, and only do your meditation for 20 to 30 minutes. Or maybe
      try doing your meditations in a different area, say outside in
      nature... see if going outside into the sun light, maybe in a park,
      etc... will give you an experience of change, and open you up for
      getting in touch with other energy that is in nature. Also keep a
      journal of your experience. Maybe you will be able to then figure
      out through your journaling, just what could be causing your
      depression. Maybe you also could take a look at how your job makes
      you feel, or other personal issues in your life. Draw two columns
      on a piece of paper, one side for things that really are enjoyable
      for you, and one side for a list of things that make you feel
      drained, or out of sorts. Once you discover the items that make you
      feel drained (or sleepy, sleepless) than you can try to find
      something to replace these things in your life, with
      activities/objects that make you feel relaxed, quiet and full of
      energy. Have you seen the movie "Pay it Forward"? If not it is a
      story about a young school boy that has an assignment to try to
      change the world. He desides to help three people that can not help
      themselves. Maybe you could try to help someone by doing something
      special for someone else, each week, day ? What ever you feel
      comfortable with. These are just a few thoughts that came to me.
      Hope it helps some :-)
      Elizabeth
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
        Dear Gustavo,
        As a mental health professional, I have to suggest you follow your
        doctors directions, although I am doubtful that he is basing his
        "Depression" diagnosis just on your waking up earlier. As we progress
        in our meditative practice, it is common to start becoming aware of
        how we are squandering energy needlessly. For instance, we may
        realize that we cringe and tighten up all our muscles whenever our
        mother-in-law or our boss enters the room. When we recognize this
        reaction, we no longer may do it habitually, and thus start to
        conserve the energy that we would have normally wasted in getting
        uptight. This ultimately leads to having more energy overall, and
        lessens the amount of time we need to sleep to replenish it.
        Similarly, we may even start reacting with laughter whenever we see
        ourselves doing dumb, energy wasting, habitual reactive motions, like
        twiddeling our thumbs, scratching body parts that aren't itching,
        playing with our hair, and so on. We then not only start to save the
        squandered energy by not doing these unconscious energy-wasting
        things, we gain energy by our laughter. Also, as we evolve in
        meditation, at night, it becomes easier and easier to let go of
        things we would tend to go over and over, thus allowing our sleep to
        be of a better, more refreshing quality. I wish you well, and hope
        your sleep is pleasant, beneficial, and helps end any depression you
        are going through.