Re: meditation and sleep needs

  • babspiscot
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi!
      Insomnia is indeed a sign of depression, but not alone. On the other
      hand, with a better quality sleep (that can come from meditation, at
      least according to some literature and also my experience) the time
      needed to rest can diminish. Meaning it might happen that you need
      less sleep. The question is how do you feel when you wake up: fresh
      or tired? If you feel fresh and energized, it's OK and it's no
      depression. babs.
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
      <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
      > Hi!
      >
      > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
      practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
      depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

      > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
      did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

      > Thanks for any light on the subject!
      >
      > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

    • whitefeatherliz
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
        <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
        > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
        practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
        depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

        > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
        did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

        > Thanks for any light on the subject!
        >
        > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

        Hi Gustavo,
        You state above... Thanks for any light on the subject! My thought
        here when you mention depression, is maybe you lack sunlight; light
        starvation in other words. Not sure what season you are in in Brazil
        ( maybe rainy?) But I have heard sometimes the lack of sunlight can
        be a cause for depression. Not just the idea of waking up earlier,
        but also sleeping too much can be a sign of depression. Do you nap
        during the day? When do you practise meditation? And do you sleep
        after a time when doing this? If so I would recommend setting a
        timer, and only do your meditation for 20 to 30 minutes. Or maybe
        try doing your meditations in a different area, say outside in
        nature... see if going outside into the sun light, maybe in a park,
        etc... will give you an experience of change, and open you up for
        getting in touch with other energy that is in nature. Also keep a
        journal of your experience. Maybe you will be able to then figure
        out through your journaling, just what could be causing your
        depression. Maybe you also could take a look at how your job makes
        you feel, or other personal issues in your life. Draw two columns
        on a piece of paper, one side for things that really are enjoyable
        for you, and one side for a list of things that make you feel
        drained, or out of sorts. Once you discover the items that make you
        feel drained (or sleepy, sleepless) than you can try to find
        something to replace these things in your life, with
        activities/objects that make you feel relaxed, quiet and full of
        energy. Have you seen the movie "Pay it Forward"? If not it is a
        story about a young school boy that has an assignment to try to
        change the world. He desides to help three people that can not help
        themselves. Maybe you could try to help someone by doing something
        special for someone else, each week, day ? What ever you feel
        comfortable with. These are just a few thoughts that came to me.
        Hope it helps some :-)
        Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
          Dear Gustavo,
          As a mental health professional, I have to suggest you follow your
          doctors directions, although I am doubtful that he is basing his
          "Depression" diagnosis just on your waking up earlier. As we progress
          in our meditative practice, it is common to start becoming aware of
          how we are squandering energy needlessly. For instance, we may
          realize that we cringe and tighten up all our muscles whenever our
          mother-in-law or our boss enters the room. When we recognize this
          reaction, we no longer may do it habitually, and thus start to
          conserve the energy that we would have normally wasted in getting
          uptight. This ultimately leads to having more energy overall, and
          lessens the amount of time we need to sleep to replenish it.
          Similarly, we may even start reacting with laughter whenever we see
          ourselves doing dumb, energy wasting, habitual reactive motions, like
          twiddeling our thumbs, scratching body parts that aren't itching,
          playing with our hair, and so on. We then not only start to save the
          squandered energy by not doing these unconscious energy-wasting
          things, we gain energy by our laughter. Also, as we evolve in
          meditation, at night, it becomes easier and easier to let go of
          things we would tend to go over and over, thus allowing our sleep to
          be of a better, more refreshing quality. I wish you well, and hope
          your sleep is pleasant, beneficial, and helps end any depression you
          are going through.