meditation and sleep needs

  • Gustavo Daud Amadera
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
      Hi!

      I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

      Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

      Thanks for any light on the subject!

      Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

    • babspiscot
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 31, 2002
        Hi!
        Insomnia is indeed a sign of depression, but not alone. On the other
        hand, with a better quality sleep (that can come from meditation, at
        least according to some literature and also my experience) the time
        needed to rest can diminish. Meaning it might happen that you need
        less sleep. The question is how do you feel when you wake up: fresh
        or tired? If you feel fresh and energized, it's OK and it's no
        depression. babs.
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "Gustavo Daud Amadera"
        <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
        > Hi!
        >
        > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
        practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
        depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

        > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
        did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

        > Thanks for any light on the subject!
        >
        > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

      • whitefeatherliz
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
          <deusminhoca@y...> wrote:
          > I'm searching the web for info on sleep needs for meditation
          practitioners - I started meditating seriously after a major
          depression crisis (about 1 year ago).

          > Recently I started waking up 1 hour (+-) earlier than I usually
          did. My doctor really thinks I'm depressed again (based on that...).

          > Thanks for any light on the subject!
          >
          > Gustavo Daud Amadera (Brazil)

          Hi Gustavo,
          You state above... Thanks for any light on the subject! My thought
          here when you mention depression, is maybe you lack sunlight; light
          starvation in other words. Not sure what season you are in in Brazil
          ( maybe rainy?) But I have heard sometimes the lack of sunlight can
          be a cause for depression. Not just the idea of waking up earlier,
          but also sleeping too much can be a sign of depression. Do you nap
          during the day? When do you practise meditation? And do you sleep
          after a time when doing this? If so I would recommend setting a
          timer, and only do your meditation for 20 to 30 minutes. Or maybe
          try doing your meditations in a different area, say outside in
          nature... see if going outside into the sun light, maybe in a park,
          etc... will give you an experience of change, and open you up for
          getting in touch with other energy that is in nature. Also keep a
          journal of your experience. Maybe you will be able to then figure
          out through your journaling, just what could be causing your
          depression. Maybe you also could take a look at how your job makes
          you feel, or other personal issues in your life. Draw two columns
          on a piece of paper, one side for things that really are enjoyable
          for you, and one side for a list of things that make you feel
          drained, or out of sorts. Once you discover the items that make you
          feel drained (or sleepy, sleepless) than you can try to find
          something to replace these things in your life, with
          activities/objects that make you feel relaxed, quiet and full of
          energy. Have you seen the movie "Pay it Forward"? If not it is a
          story about a young school boy that has an assignment to try to
          change the world. He desides to help three people that can not help
          themselves. Maybe you could try to help someone by doing something
          special for someone else, each week, day ? What ever you feel
          comfortable with. These are just a few thoughts that came to me.
          Hope it helps some :-)
          Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 2002
            Dear Gustavo,
            As a mental health professional, I have to suggest you follow your
            doctors directions, although I am doubtful that he is basing his
            "Depression" diagnosis just on your waking up earlier. As we progress
            in our meditative practice, it is common to start becoming aware of
            how we are squandering energy needlessly. For instance, we may
            realize that we cringe and tighten up all our muscles whenever our
            mother-in-law or our boss enters the room. When we recognize this
            reaction, we no longer may do it habitually, and thus start to
            conserve the energy that we would have normally wasted in getting
            uptight. This ultimately leads to having more energy overall, and
            lessens the amount of time we need to sleep to replenish it.
            Similarly, we may even start reacting with laughter whenever we see
            ourselves doing dumb, energy wasting, habitual reactive motions, like
            twiddeling our thumbs, scratching body parts that aren't itching,
            playing with our hair, and so on. We then not only start to save the
            squandered energy by not doing these unconscious energy-wasting
            things, we gain energy by our laughter. Also, as we evolve in
            meditation, at night, it becomes easier and easier to let go of
            things we would tend to go over and over, thus allowing our sleep to
            be of a better, more refreshing quality. I wish you well, and hope
            your sleep is pleasant, beneficial, and helps end any depression you
            are going through.