The Soham Meditation Technique

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 29, 2002
      This will be the next featured meditation technique on Meditation
      Station. I hope you enjoy and benefit from this advance preview.

      Soham

      The Bible tells us that in the beginning there was the Word, and the
      Word was with God, and the Word was God. But in the beginning, there
      were no words, no languages, or even sounds of humans or animals. So
      what was the Word that was in the beginning. This has been a great
      mystery, but like the solution to many mysteries, the answer has been
      right under our nose all along. And that is Soham.

      Soham is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest Mantra, and is
      considered along with Om to be the most powerful of all techniques.
      This was the first meditation technique, both in antiquity and in our
      own lives. The ancient cavemen, before they had invented language or
      fire, would sit in their dark caves and have nothing else to focus on
      but the sound of their breath. Similarly, the first sound we heard
      when we were in our mothers' womb was the sound of her breath, and
      this sound has been with us ever since we drew our first breath. It
      negates the need to rely on any of the words of the languages of the
      world to use as a mantra. It has brought people to transcendence of
      worldly limitations from time immemorial and continues to do so. It
      can be done even while driving, working, and doing other acts of
      daily life and thereby offers a continuous experience of being in the
      present. This is a great present, because Reality takes place now, in
      the present. Soham is a wonder-full meditation technique and I hope
      will bring you the experience of Knowledge, Consciousness, and Bliss
      that is your birthright.

      In the Bible, when God was asked what his name is, He answered " I Am
      That I Am'. In Sanskrit, the most ancient of languages, the sound of
      the inhalation is termed So, and the exhalation is Ham. Combined, the
      word Soham is translated as "I Am He/That". So, whenever you are
      doing this technique, you are calling on God. Every breath thus
      becomes a prayer and adoration.

      The Soham Meditation Technique

      At the time and in the place where you feel most comfortable, place
      your body in the position that you have found to be the most
      beneficial for meditation. Close your eyes. Close your ears by
      putting your thumbs in them, or by using earplugs. This will
      intensify the sound of your breath while diminishing the distractions
      that sight and sound bring. Command your mind to be silent, your
      emotions to be calm, and your body to stay relaxed. Focus on the
      sound of your breath coming in. Associate it with the word So. As
      your breath leaves, listen to the sound and associate it with the word
      Ham. To pronounce So and Ham correctly, listen to how they sound. As
      with most pranayama (breathing techniques), Soham is done either in 3
      cycles of 12 or 12 cycles of 12. One inhalation and one exhalation
      are one respiration. 12 respirations are one cycle. For those just
      starting to use this technique, it is usual to silently say the word
      So with each inhalation and the word Ham with each exhale. When you
      are focused consistently, consciously, you will flow into simply
      listening to the sound of Soham. Soham is by far the easiest
      meditation. It comes to all living creatures without any effort. And
      yet it is the deepest possible technique, as it presents the
      opportunity to meditate on the great mystery of life and the
      life-giver itself.

      No matter how we have acted and reacted, with each breath we are
      forgiven for our so-called sins and rewarded with another breath,
      another heartbeat, and another moment of life to cherish. No act of
      will on our part can give us breath. Literally, we are graced with
      this gift of life from a power greater than ourselves. A corpse has
      every bone, every organ, and every bodily system that we have, and
      yet it doesn't have life or healing energy filling every cell with
      every breath, as we have. As you merge more and more with Soham, you
      surrender your reactivity to your thoughts, emotions, and sensory
      impressions. These are all just heavy earth-bound suffering-causing
      limitations. The divine energy of Soham is limitless heavenly love
      and light. Witness, surrender all effort, and fill with this most
      precious gift of Grace. And live happily ever after.