question to anybody

  • babspiscot
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 25 10:00 AM
      Hello!
      I'm rather new in meditation and in this group, trying to find my way
      alone. Naturally, lots of unanswered questions. One that is more
      stringent: when trying to concentrate (following my breath) I am able
      to go on, don't lose the thread, but there are very often all kind of
      thoughts in the back, like a constant noise (would compare it with a
      radio that's not well tuned). It's like having half of my mind here
      and half there. How could I get rid of this? Lately these background
      thoughts are mostly about meditation. Thank you, Edit.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 26 12:32 AM
        Dear Edit,
        What is very good here is that your inner Witness, your awareness,
        has recognized the inner Chatterer. Your mind has been an everpresent
        judge, comparing and commenting non-stop on everything and nothing.
        Through meditation, you have been giving it a task, in this case to
        follow your breath, and this has kept it busy. This is a sign that
        you are becoming the master and your mind is becoming the servant. It
        will try to distract you and regain the master position. That is what
        the "constant noise" is. Persevere. Be regular in your practice. Your
        mind will tire and submit naturally, eventually. The mind is a very
        good tool, but must be used skillfully, appropriatly. Your intuition,
        your "gut feeling", the heart, is much better for making decisions,
        and the mind is much better at making sure you received the right
        amount of change at the 7-11. The more you give it a task to do,
        like following your breath, it will be occupied and not pursue its
        distracting chatter. Soon your radio will be tuned into the
        strongest, clearest signal there is, the Divine station, OM, and you
        will live happily ever after.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28 7:25 AM
          Hello Bob,
          Thank you for your insight, it was helpful and encouraging. I'd like
          to ask two other questions regarding some personal experiences. One,
          often, when meditating, I feel a kind of pain in my throat, like a
          muscular spasm, it doesn't interfere but worries me a bit. Can I do
          something to stop this, do I do something wrong?
          And second, sometimes, when more focused, I have the feeling of
          splitting in two, a part of me (the "brain") is getting smaller and
          smaller and the other part (?) is growing huge, sometimes like a
          pillar, sometimes more like an ovoid, reaching towards the sky.
          This morning it was different, like a sphere of dense and bright
          white light, surrounding me like a soft cocoon, almost material, it
          felt great, soothing and fulfilling in the same time. I didn't want
          to leave it (had some difficulty getting out and it was one of my
          longest meditations) and had an urge to fill the sphere with love. In
          the same time my body felt like a whole, couldn't differentiate
          between its parts. Am I on the right track or completely out of it?
          Have no idea.
          Thank you for your time and your help. Happy Easter, Edit

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 28 8:02 AM
            Dear Edit, You certainly are going in the right direction. The pain in
            the throat is most likely the way your mind is distracting you at this
            time. When you no longer react to this, your mind will come up with
            something else. The splitting in two is very similar to the way that a
            priest named Pere Telil DeChardin (Spelling?), described the path to
            enlightenment. He said that as we begin to be able to concentrate
            better and better, our mind expands greatly as our ego becomes
            smaller. Picture a balloon expanding and filling with pure energy,
            while the amount of impurities remains the same, or even decreases. We
            eventually reach what he called the Omega point, where the balloon is
            so full that it explodes, and we are no longer trapped inside
            anything, and merge with the infinite. He called this state Christ
            Consciousness. He came close to being excommunicated for this, because
            it points to us merging with God, and that was considered heresy. But,
            as Saint Martha would say, "It's a good thing". As a matter of fact it
            is the best thing.
            Yes, this is Easter time, the time of rebirth to everlasting Divine
            experience, and also Passover, the time that death passes over us, and
            we end our slavery. These experiences are the everavailable gifts
            meditation points to. It is appropriate to feel encouraged as we have
            our own Omega point moments. Enjoy!
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., babspiscot <no_reply@y...>