Persevere

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21 11:17 AM
      I really enjoyed Bobby G's technique for dealing with distractions
      very much, and am very sure that this visualization can benefit many
      who have had trouble ridding themselves from persistent hindrances
      to concentration. As often happens in matters of consciousness, the
      universe then provided me with something that similarly segues into
      the "trouble" with concentration. The following is part of the Swami
      Sivananda Daily Reading that came today. He probably has had more
      enlightened disciples than any other teacher in the 20th century, and
      one of the things I enjoy about him is his down-to earth attitude.For
      instance, I doubt you will find any other teacher who refers to
      concentration as "disgusting". This kind of stuff makes me laugh and
      appreciate his honesty. Anyway, here's a little concept that is most
      encouraging about keeping at it:

      Dharana (concentration) is fixing the mind on an idea or a point or
      object either internal or external.

      For a neophyte, the practice of concentration is disgusting and
      tiring in the beginning. He has to cut new grooves in the mind and
      brain. After some months he will get great interest in concentration.
      He will enjoy a new kind of happiness, the
      concentration-ananda(bliss). He will become restless if he fails to
      enjoy this new kind of happiness even on one day. Concentration is
      the only way to get rid of the worldly miseries and tribulations.
      Your only duty is to practice concentration. You have taken this
      physical body to practice concentration and through concentration to
      realise the self.
      If you enjoyed this, and would like to receive the Sivananda Daily
      Readings, here is the email address to send your request:
      dlsmd@yahoogroups.com