Re: Best way to achieve lotus position

  • tabularosa
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
      <What is the best way to work up to doing a lotus position in
      meditation?>

      Ponti, I always thought you could either do the lotus position or you
      couldn't. I've always have been able to, so never had to work up to
      it. I find it comfortable and relaxing. Sitting like an Indian
      without feet crossed over comes close. Once you do that I imagine
      stretching exercises would be beneficial. If you carry any extra
      weight, that may interfer.

      The position isn't as important as the meditative process. Just find
      the best position for you and use it.

      Top of the mornin, to everyone! Let's all wear green when we meditate
      today to celebrate St. Pat's.

      Bob, did I ever mention my mother's maiden name was Rose? Maybe we
      are related. Who knows?

      Tab
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
        Gently and gradually. Just "sitting" is a technique itself. It's
        helpful to close your eyes and try to visualize yourself in Lotus.
        Also to begin by crossing your legs at the ankle and slowly working up
        to placing just one foot on the opposite thigh first. It's most
        important to go at your own pace, be of good cheer, and listen to and
        honor your body always. Another tip: keep the spine as straight as
        comfortably possible, without rigidity, and be sure the head is
        "floating" above the body, and breathe into the area you are trying to
        stretch. Good Luck and Peace -- Bette Rose
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"