Best way to achieve lotus position

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2002
      What is the best way to work up to doing a lotus position in
      meditation?
    • tabularosa
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
        <What is the best way to work up to doing a lotus position in
        meditation?>

        Ponti, I always thought you could either do the lotus position or you
        couldn't. I've always have been able to, so never had to work up to
        it. I find it comfortable and relaxing. Sitting like an Indian
        without feet crossed over comes close. Once you do that I imagine
        stretching exercises would be beneficial. If you carry any extra
        weight, that may interfer.

        The position isn't as important as the meditative process. Just find
        the best position for you and use it.

        Top of the mornin, to everyone! Let's all wear green when we meditate
        today to celebrate St. Pat's.

        Bob, did I ever mention my mother's maiden name was Rose? Maybe we
        are related. Who knows?

        Tab
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 17, 2002
          Gently and gradually. Just "sitting" is a technique itself. It's
          helpful to close your eyes and try to visualize yourself in Lotus.
          Also to begin by crossing your legs at the ankle and slowly working up
          to placing just one foot on the opposite thigh first. It's most
          important to go at your own pace, be of good cheer, and listen to and
          honor your body always. Another tip: keep the spine as straight as
          comfortably possible, without rigidity, and be sure the head is
          "floating" above the body, and breathe into the area you are trying to
          stretch. Good Luck and Peace -- Bette Rose
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"