Re: Question

  • dziendobry
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
      <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
      > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?

      Here is a book I found very useful.

      "How to Meditate
      A Guide to Self-Discovery"

      Lawrence LeShan

      A website that is decent.

      http://www.meditationcenter.com
    • Yes that is me
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 25, 2002
        I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have no problem
        getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly. It is just when I do I
        almost immediately go into a state of complete and utter bliss too the point where
        tears of happiness stream down. I feel a complete and utter oneness with all and
        such a feeling of unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new
        to this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is good.

        Rhyanna
      • Tony
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
          Hi Rhyanna,

          While it is good to enjoy what you have, I would suggest being careful not
          to become dependent on it or see it as a final goal. Essentially, be open to
          additional developments that may come as you meditate.

          I don't think what you are experiencing is normal. My thinking is that most
          people who meditate may never reach your level of experience. This may point
          to some role you may want to consider as a teacher or someone who helps
          other people.

          ...Tony

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
            Yes that is me <rhyanna@c...> wrote:
            I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have
            no problem getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly.
            It
            is just when I do I almost immediately go into a state of complete
            and utter bliss too the point where tears of happiness stream down. I
            feel a complete and utter oneness with all and such a feeling of
            unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new to
            this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is
            good.
            Rhyanna

            Dear Rhyanna,
            What a wonder-full thing! I agree with Tony and don't feel that this
            is common to "new" meditators. But who knows - you may have been a
            meditator for many lifetimes. Bliss, loving unity, and happiness are
            beautiful experiences. These often come after much introspection, and
            one need not have had to "sit in meditation" to have had this occur
            as part of their life. The awareness within you that Witnessed these
            things is still Witnessing, and will remain "very relaxed" no matter
            what flows by in your life. At One with the inner Witness, bliss,
            insight, and other graces inevitably flow by. Enjoy! And when you are
            identified with things of the senses, emotions, and body, suffering
            will inevitably flow by. Learn and let go. Since you need not seek
            bliss, as it has found you and flows to you easily, what I think you
            should seek are the real consciousness evolving
            treasures....Compassion and Humility. These come automatically
            with suffering. What a beautiful win-win situation to be in. Enjoy
            the happiness that bliss brings, and enjoy the learning suffering
            brings. And by Grace, all seeking stops and All Witnessing is
            Realized. Thank you for sharing. Please continue.
          • Graham
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
              I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
              contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
              what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
              Can anyone help me?
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                Dear Graham,
                I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                wise guidance. We are here to help.
                "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                > Can anyone help me?
              • Graham
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                  To be honest, there is no real one point of stress. I despise
                  hearing or seeing arguements... and most of the time, I try to break
                  them up. Half the time it works. The other half of the time I just
                  end up having to shut up and leave the people who are arguing alone.
                  I am also stressed about getting a job. I have been trying for 1 and
                  a half years and yet have had no luck. Most of the time I have been
                  given the ring around, or just told the place did not need help at
                  the time, but they will keep my name on file. Plus, my parents are
                  becoming, a total annoying to the depths of hell stress problem. I
                  cannot yell at them, or I will get in trouble. My mother seems to
                  rely on me to do everything somedays. On the weekends sometimes my
                  dad drinks a little too much and he becomes a major pain in the a$$.
                  Most nights I have been quietly meditating in my room, and have
                  always found some way to keep myself happy for the next day and so
                  on and so on. Of course, I have just been bottling the stress away,
                  not letting it really bother me. But as it seems with every emotion
                  I try and bottle away, two nights ago it finally blew. Of course,
                  this raises a question. Is it wise to bottle away emotions?

                  <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > Dear Graham,
                  > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                  > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                  > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                  > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                  > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                  > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could
                  benefit
                  > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                  > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                  > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                  > Peace and blessings,
                  > Bob
                  > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                  > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                  > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really
                  know
                  > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                  about.
                  > > Can anyone help me?
                • mlcanow
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 27, 2003
                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Dear Graham,
                    > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                    > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                    > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                    > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                    > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                    > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                    > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                    > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                    > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                    > Peace and blessings,
                    > Bob
                    > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                    > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                    > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                    > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                    about.
                    > > Can anyone help me?

                    Hello Graham,
                    the answer to this is not so difficult. Even if you are still living
                    the issue that causes so much stress, the following excercise would
                    be very helpful, and you may apply it every time in your life.
                    Thoughts come and go. You can observe this. You are always there, but
                    thoughts come, and then they leave and disappear.
                    An issue is a thought. You can observe this too. No thought of it, no
                    issue. The reccurence of some thoughts is very natural, it is how
                    mind works. Mind in this case is the bundle of thoughts. The way mind
                    (defined as this) survives, is trying to stay, pretending that the
                    thought will be eternal, but it is not. A thought cannot survive for
                    ever. It goes.
                    Peace is what you are. Peace is the base, thoughts appear to obscure
                    that peace. When the thought goes, peace is felt again. So peace is
                    always there, the struggles that thoughts bring with them just come,
                    and then go. This is very important to observe. It is basic.
                    Imagine a thief. When the thief is caught in its robbery, what does
                    he do? He runs away as quickly as possible, the thief disappears.
                    Now, imagine the thought as a thief. What is this thief trying to
                    steal? Peace. As soon as the thought is observed as what it is, (just
                    a thought), it will disappear.
                    Observe how thoughts arise, but do not follow them, do not feed them,
                    so that they starve and then leave. Observe how they leave. Another
                    thought will try to take its place, you may do the same thing, or may
                    just not worry at all.

                    I hope this helps, it is a practice highly recommended by the sages.

                    All the love,
                    maria luisa