Re: Question

    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
      One of the best beginners books that I've seen recently is:
      "Meditation - Beginner's Questions & Answers," by Lonny J. Brown,
      Ph.D., www.SelfHelpGuides.com
      But, this reminds me of a quote from Kir Li Molari that will be in
      new issue of The Inner Traveler that will probably be out this week:
      "The Bible, Koran, Gita, and the Upanishads are in your heart.
      Silence your mind and their wisdom will fill you."
      So, in one way, the best advise I could give is to just meditate.
      There really is no better way to learn about meditation. But since I
      have read hundreds of books and feel there is no doubt that they
      helped clarify alot for me, it would be ridiculous and sort of "Do as
      I say, not as I do" to take this position. So, I won't. As a matter
      of fact, I'll even recommend 2 other books that I feel are great for
      helping to understand about meditation. They are both by Swami
      Satchidananda. One is titled the Living Gita and the other is
      Integral Yoga: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali They can be purchased from
      Integral Yoga Distribution Tel# 1-800-262-1008. I also suggest
      checking out the beginners section of our web site, Meditation
      Station
      http://www.meditationsociety.com
      particularly the What is Meditation article. I hope this helps point
      to what you seek.
      --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
      <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
      > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?
    • dziendobry
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
        <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
        > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?

        Here is a book I found very useful.

        "How to Meditate
        A Guide to Self-Discovery"

        Lawrence LeShan

        A website that is decent.

        http://www.meditationcenter.com
      • Yes that is me
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25, 2002
          I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have no problem
          getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly. It is just when I do I
          almost immediately go into a state of complete and utter bliss too the point where
          tears of happiness stream down. I feel a complete and utter oneness with all and
          such a feeling of unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new
          to this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is good.

          Rhyanna
        • Tony
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
            Hi Rhyanna,

            While it is good to enjoy what you have, I would suggest being careful not
            to become dependent on it or see it as a final goal. Essentially, be open to
            additional developments that may come as you meditate.

            I don't think what you are experiencing is normal. My thinking is that most
            people who meditate may never reach your level of experience. This may point
            to some role you may want to consider as a teacher or someone who helps
            other people.

            ...Tony

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
              Yes that is me <rhyanna@c...> wrote:
              I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have
              no problem getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly.
              It
              is just when I do I almost immediately go into a state of complete
              and utter bliss too the point where tears of happiness stream down. I
              feel a complete and utter oneness with all and such a feeling of
              unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new to
              this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is
              good.
              Rhyanna

              Dear Rhyanna,
              What a wonder-full thing! I agree with Tony and don't feel that this
              is common to "new" meditators. But who knows - you may have been a
              meditator for many lifetimes. Bliss, loving unity, and happiness are
              beautiful experiences. These often come after much introspection, and
              one need not have had to "sit in meditation" to have had this occur
              as part of their life. The awareness within you that Witnessed these
              things is still Witnessing, and will remain "very relaxed" no matter
              what flows by in your life. At One with the inner Witness, bliss,
              insight, and other graces inevitably flow by. Enjoy! And when you are
              identified with things of the senses, emotions, and body, suffering
              will inevitably flow by. Learn and let go. Since you need not seek
              bliss, as it has found you and flows to you easily, what I think you
              should seek are the real consciousness evolving
              treasures....Compassion and Humility. These come automatically
              with suffering. What a beautiful win-win situation to be in. Enjoy
              the happiness that bliss brings, and enjoy the learning suffering
              brings. And by Grace, all seeking stops and All Witnessing is
              Realized. Thank you for sharing. Please continue.
            • Graham
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                Can anyone help me?
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                  Dear Graham,
                  I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                  the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                  is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                  you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                  and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                  been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                  you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                  compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                  wise guidance. We are here to help.
                  "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                  > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                  > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                  > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                  > Can anyone help me?
                • Graham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                    To be honest, there is no real one point of stress. I despise
                    hearing or seeing arguements... and most of the time, I try to break
                    them up. Half the time it works. The other half of the time I just
                    end up having to shut up and leave the people who are arguing alone.
                    I am also stressed about getting a job. I have been trying for 1 and
                    a half years and yet have had no luck. Most of the time I have been
                    given the ring around, or just told the place did not need help at
                    the time, but they will keep my name on file. Plus, my parents are
                    becoming, a total annoying to the depths of hell stress problem. I
                    cannot yell at them, or I will get in trouble. My mother seems to
                    rely on me to do everything somedays. On the weekends sometimes my
                    dad drinks a little too much and he becomes a major pain in the a$$.
                    Most nights I have been quietly meditating in my room, and have
                    always found some way to keep myself happy for the next day and so
                    on and so on. Of course, I have just been bottling the stress away,
                    not letting it really bother me. But as it seems with every emotion
                    I try and bottle away, two nights ago it finally blew. Of course,
                    this raises a question. Is it wise to bottle away emotions?

                    <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                    > Dear Graham,
                    > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                    > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                    > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                    > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                    > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                    > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could
                    benefit
                    > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                    > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                    > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                    > Peace and blessings,
                    > Bob
                    > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                    > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                    > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really
                    know
                    > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                    about.
                    > > Can anyone help me?
                  • mlcanow
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 27, 2003
                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Dear Graham,
                      > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                      > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                      > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                      > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                      > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                      > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                      > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                      > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                      > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob
                      > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                      > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                      > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                      > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                      about.
                      > > Can anyone help me?

                      Hello Graham,
                      the answer to this is not so difficult. Even if you are still living
                      the issue that causes so much stress, the following excercise would
                      be very helpful, and you may apply it every time in your life.
                      Thoughts come and go. You can observe this. You are always there, but
                      thoughts come, and then they leave and disappear.
                      An issue is a thought. You can observe this too. No thought of it, no
                      issue. The reccurence of some thoughts is very natural, it is how
                      mind works. Mind in this case is the bundle of thoughts. The way mind
                      (defined as this) survives, is trying to stay, pretending that the
                      thought will be eternal, but it is not. A thought cannot survive for
                      ever. It goes.
                      Peace is what you are. Peace is the base, thoughts appear to obscure
                      that peace. When the thought goes, peace is felt again. So peace is
                      always there, the struggles that thoughts bring with them just come,
                      and then go. This is very important to observe. It is basic.
                      Imagine a thief. When the thief is caught in its robbery, what does
                      he do? He runs away as quickly as possible, the thief disappears.
                      Now, imagine the thought as a thief. What is this thief trying to
                      steal? Peace. As soon as the thought is observed as what it is, (just
                      a thought), it will disappear.
                      Observe how thoughts arise, but do not follow them, do not feed them,
                      so that they starve and then leave. Observe how they leave. Another
                      thought will try to take its place, you may do the same thing, or may
                      just not worry at all.

                      I hope this helps, it is a practice highly recommended by the sages.

                      All the love,
                      maria luisa