Re: Question

  • tabularosa
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11 7:53 PM
      It's funny you should ask. I thought it rather droll to see a book
      entitled Meditation for Dummies. Anything I see for dummies, I think
      is right up my alley...lol

      http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-
      /books/0764551167/slide-show/103-7330841-1917427#reader-link

      If that link is too long to click on, you may have to copy and paste
      into address bar.

      I do not endorse this book as I have never read it. Bob is the expert
      here.
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11 10:22 PM
        One of the best beginners books that I've seen recently is:
        "Meditation - Beginner's Questions & Answers," by Lonny J. Brown,
        Ph.D., www.SelfHelpGuides.com
        But, this reminds me of a quote from Kir Li Molari that will be in
        new issue of The Inner Traveler that will probably be out this week:
        "The Bible, Koran, Gita, and the Upanishads are in your heart.
        Silence your mind and their wisdom will fill you."
        So, in one way, the best advise I could give is to just meditate.
        There really is no better way to learn about meditation. But since I
        have read hundreds of books and feel there is no doubt that they
        helped clarify alot for me, it would be ridiculous and sort of "Do as
        I say, not as I do" to take this position. So, I won't. As a matter
        of fact, I'll even recommend 2 other books that I feel are great for
        helping to understand about meditation. They are both by Swami
        Satchidananda. One is titled the Living Gita and the other is
        Integral Yoga: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali They can be purchased from
        Integral Yoga Distribution Tel# 1-800-262-1008. I also suggest
        checking out the beginners section of our web site, Meditation
        Station
        http://www.meditationsociety.com
        particularly the What is Meditation article. I hope this helps point
        to what you seek.
        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
        <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
        > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?
      • dziendobry
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11 11:02 PM
          <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
          > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?

          Here is a book I found very useful.

          "How to Meditate
          A Guide to Self-Discovery"

          Lawrence LeShan

          A website that is decent.

          http://www.meditationcenter.com
        • Yes that is me
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2002
            I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have no problem
            getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly. It is just when I do I
            almost immediately go into a state of complete and utter bliss too the point where
            tears of happiness stream down. I feel a complete and utter oneness with all and
            such a feeling of unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new
            to this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is good.

            Rhyanna
          • Tony
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
              Hi Rhyanna,

              While it is good to enjoy what you have, I would suggest being careful not
              to become dependent on it or see it as a final goal. Essentially, be open to
              additional developments that may come as you meditate.

              I don't think what you are experiencing is normal. My thinking is that most
              people who meditate may never reach your level of experience. This may point
              to some role you may want to consider as a teacher or someone who helps
              other people.

              ...Tony

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
                Yes that is me <rhyanna@c...> wrote:
                I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have
                no problem getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly.
                It
                is just when I do I almost immediately go into a state of complete
                and utter bliss too the point where tears of happiness stream down. I
                feel a complete and utter oneness with all and such a feeling of
                unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new to
                this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is
                good.
                Rhyanna

                Dear Rhyanna,
                What a wonder-full thing! I agree with Tony and don't feel that this
                is common to "new" meditators. But who knows - you may have been a
                meditator for many lifetimes. Bliss, loving unity, and happiness are
                beautiful experiences. These often come after much introspection, and
                one need not have had to "sit in meditation" to have had this occur
                as part of their life. The awareness within you that Witnessed these
                things is still Witnessing, and will remain "very relaxed" no matter
                what flows by in your life. At One with the inner Witness, bliss,
                insight, and other graces inevitably flow by. Enjoy! And when you are
                identified with things of the senses, emotions, and body, suffering
                will inevitably flow by. Learn and let go. Since you need not seek
                bliss, as it has found you and flows to you easily, what I think you
                should seek are the real consciousness evolving
                treasures....Compassion and Humility. These come automatically
                with suffering. What a beautiful win-win situation to be in. Enjoy
                the happiness that bliss brings, and enjoy the learning suffering
                brings. And by Grace, all seeking stops and All Witnessing is
                Realized. Thank you for sharing. Please continue.
              • Graham
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                  I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                  contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                  what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                  Can anyone help me?
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                    Dear Graham,
                    I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                    the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                    is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                    you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                    and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                    been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                    you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                    compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                    wise guidance. We are here to help.
                    "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                    > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                    > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                    > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                    > Can anyone help me?
                  • Graham
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                      To be honest, there is no real one point of stress. I despise
                      hearing or seeing arguements... and most of the time, I try to break
                      them up. Half the time it works. The other half of the time I just
                      end up having to shut up and leave the people who are arguing alone.
                      I am also stressed about getting a job. I have been trying for 1 and
                      a half years and yet have had no luck. Most of the time I have been
                      given the ring around, or just told the place did not need help at
                      the time, but they will keep my name on file. Plus, my parents are
                      becoming, a total annoying to the depths of hell stress problem. I
                      cannot yell at them, or I will get in trouble. My mother seems to
                      rely on me to do everything somedays. On the weekends sometimes my
                      dad drinks a little too much and he becomes a major pain in the a$$.
                      Most nights I have been quietly meditating in my room, and have
                      always found some way to keep myself happy for the next day and so
                      on and so on. Of course, I have just been bottling the stress away,
                      not letting it really bother me. But as it seems with every emotion
                      I try and bottle away, two nights ago it finally blew. Of course,
                      this raises a question. Is it wise to bottle away emotions?

                      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                      > Dear Graham,
                      > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                      > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                      > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                      > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                      > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                      > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could
                      benefit
                      > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                      > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                      > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                      > Peace and blessings,
                      > Bob
                      > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                      > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                      > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really
                      know
                      > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                      about.
                      > > Can anyone help me?
                    • mlcanow
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 27, 2003
                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Dear Graham,
                        > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                        > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                        > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                        > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                        > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                        > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                        > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                        > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                        > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                        > Peace and blessings,
                        > Bob
                        > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                        > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                        > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                        > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                        about.
                        > > Can anyone help me?

                        Hello Graham,
                        the answer to this is not so difficult. Even if you are still living
                        the issue that causes so much stress, the following excercise would
                        be very helpful, and you may apply it every time in your life.
                        Thoughts come and go. You can observe this. You are always there, but
                        thoughts come, and then they leave and disappear.
                        An issue is a thought. You can observe this too. No thought of it, no
                        issue. The reccurence of some thoughts is very natural, it is how
                        mind works. Mind in this case is the bundle of thoughts. The way mind
                        (defined as this) survives, is trying to stay, pretending that the
                        thought will be eternal, but it is not. A thought cannot survive for
                        ever. It goes.
                        Peace is what you are. Peace is the base, thoughts appear to obscure
                        that peace. When the thought goes, peace is felt again. So peace is
                        always there, the struggles that thoughts bring with them just come,
                        and then go. This is very important to observe. It is basic.
                        Imagine a thief. When the thief is caught in its robbery, what does
                        he do? He runs away as quickly as possible, the thief disappears.
                        Now, imagine the thought as a thief. What is this thief trying to
                        steal? Peace. As soon as the thought is observed as what it is, (just
                        a thought), it will disappear.
                        Observe how thoughts arise, but do not follow them, do not feed them,
                        so that they starve and then leave. Observe how they leave. Another
                        thought will try to take its place, you may do the same thing, or may
                        just not worry at all.

                        I hope this helps, it is a practice highly recommended by the sages.

                        All the love,
                        maria luisa