Question

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
      What are the best books for beginner's meditation?
    • tabularosa
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
        It's funny you should ask. I thought it rather droll to see a book
        entitled Meditation for Dummies. Anything I see for dummies, I think
        is right up my alley...lol

        http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-
        /books/0764551167/slide-show/103-7330841-1917427#reader-link

        If that link is too long to click on, you may have to copy and paste
        into address bar.

        I do not endorse this book as I have never read it. Bob is the expert
        here.
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
          One of the best beginners books that I've seen recently is:
          "Meditation - Beginner's Questions & Answers," by Lonny J. Brown,
          Ph.D., www.SelfHelpGuides.com
          But, this reminds me of a quote from Kir Li Molari that will be in
          new issue of The Inner Traveler that will probably be out this week:
          "The Bible, Koran, Gita, and the Upanishads are in your heart.
          Silence your mind and their wisdom will fill you."
          So, in one way, the best advise I could give is to just meditate.
          There really is no better way to learn about meditation. But since I
          have read hundreds of books and feel there is no doubt that they
          helped clarify alot for me, it would be ridiculous and sort of "Do as
          I say, not as I do" to take this position. So, I won't. As a matter
          of fact, I'll even recommend 2 other books that I feel are great for
          helping to understand about meditation. They are both by Swami
          Satchidananda. One is titled the Living Gita and the other is
          Integral Yoga: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali They can be purchased from
          Integral Yoga Distribution Tel# 1-800-262-1008. I also suggest
          checking out the beginners section of our web site, Meditation
          Station
          http://www.meditationsociety.com
          particularly the What is Meditation article. I hope this helps point
          to what you seek.
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
          <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
          > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?
        • dziendobry
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 11, 2002
            <pontifexmaxim@h...> wrote:
            > What are the best books for beginner's meditation?

            Here is a book I found very useful.

            "How to Meditate
            A Guide to Self-Discovery"

            Lawrence LeShan

            A website that is decent.

            http://www.meditationcenter.com
          • Yes that is me
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2002
              I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have no problem
              getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly. It is just when I do I
              almost immediately go into a state of complete and utter bliss too the point where
              tears of happiness stream down. I feel a complete and utter oneness with all and
              such a feeling of unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new
              to this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is good.

              Rhyanna
            • Tony
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
                Hi Rhyanna,

                While it is good to enjoy what you have, I would suggest being careful not
                to become dependent on it or see it as a final goal. Essentially, be open to
                additional developments that may come as you meditate.

                I don't think what you are experiencing is normal. My thinking is that most
                people who meditate may never reach your level of experience. This may point
                to some role you may want to consider as a teacher or someone who helps
                other people.

                ...Tony

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 26, 2002
                  Yes that is me <rhyanna@c...> wrote:
                  I am rather new to meditation and have a question. I seem to have
                  no problem getting into a medatative state, it goes quite quickly.
                  It
                  is just when I do I almost immediately go into a state of complete
                  and utter bliss too the point where tears of happiness stream down. I
                  feel a complete and utter oneness with all and such a feeling of
                  unconditional love and acceptance. The question is as I am new to
                  this, is this normal? I do feel very relaxed afterwords which is
                  good.
                  Rhyanna

                  Dear Rhyanna,
                  What a wonder-full thing! I agree with Tony and don't feel that this
                  is common to "new" meditators. But who knows - you may have been a
                  meditator for many lifetimes. Bliss, loving unity, and happiness are
                  beautiful experiences. These often come after much introspection, and
                  one need not have had to "sit in meditation" to have had this occur
                  as part of their life. The awareness within you that Witnessed these
                  things is still Witnessing, and will remain "very relaxed" no matter
                  what flows by in your life. At One with the inner Witness, bliss,
                  insight, and other graces inevitably flow by. Enjoy! And when you are
                  identified with things of the senses, emotions, and body, suffering
                  will inevitably flow by. Learn and let go. Since you need not seek
                  bliss, as it has found you and flows to you easily, what I think you
                  should seek are the real consciousness evolving
                  treasures....Compassion and Humility. These come automatically
                  with suffering. What a beautiful win-win situation to be in. Enjoy
                  the happiness that bliss brings, and enjoy the learning suffering
                  brings. And by Grace, all seeking stops and All Witnessing is
                  Realized. Thank you for sharing. Please continue.
                • Graham
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                    I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                    contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                    what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                    Can anyone help me?
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                      Dear Graham,
                      I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                      the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                      is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                      you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                      and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                      been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                      you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                      compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                      wise guidance. We are here to help.
                      "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                      > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                      > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                      > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it about.
                      > Can anyone help me?
                    • Graham
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 22, 2003
                        To be honest, there is no real one point of stress. I despise
                        hearing or seeing arguements... and most of the time, I try to break
                        them up. Half the time it works. The other half of the time I just
                        end up having to shut up and leave the people who are arguing alone.
                        I am also stressed about getting a job. I have been trying for 1 and
                        a half years and yet have had no luck. Most of the time I have been
                        given the ring around, or just told the place did not need help at
                        the time, but they will keep my name on file. Plus, my parents are
                        becoming, a total annoying to the depths of hell stress problem. I
                        cannot yell at them, or I will get in trouble. My mother seems to
                        rely on me to do everything somedays. On the weekends sometimes my
                        dad drinks a little too much and he becomes a major pain in the a$$.
                        Most nights I have been quietly meditating in my room, and have
                        always found some way to keep myself happy for the next day and so
                        on and so on. Of course, I have just been bottling the stress away,
                        not letting it really bother me. But as it seems with every emotion
                        I try and bottle away, two nights ago it finally blew. Of course,
                        this raises a question. Is it wise to bottle away emotions?

                        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                        > Dear Graham,
                        > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                        > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                        > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                        > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                        > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                        > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could
                        benefit
                        > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                        > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                        > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                        > Peace and blessings,
                        > Bob
                        > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                        > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                        > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really
                        know
                        > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                        about.
                        > > Can anyone help me?
                      • mlcanow
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 27, 2003
                          <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                          > Dear Graham,
                          > I guess that we can agree that you actually haven't "gotten over"
                          > the stress issue if your mind keeps pulling you back to it. There
                          > is a possibility that meditation (Raja Yoga) could be helpful to
                          > you. It's all about taming the mind and having you be its master,
                          > and not its slave. This does depend on the type of stress you have
                          > been going through, but if you do feel that meditation could benefit
                          > you, I am confident that there are many knowledgeable and
                          > compassionate people in this group who will be glad to give you
                          > wise guidance. We are here to help.
                          > Peace and blessings,
                          > Bob
                          > "Graham" <cool_55426@y...> wrote:
                          > > I have just reacently gotten over a major stress issue... yet I
                          > > contuine to find my mind drifting back to it. I don't really know
                          > > what to do, and have a small handful of people to talk to it
                          about.
                          > > Can anyone help me?

                          Hello Graham,
                          the answer to this is not so difficult. Even if you are still living
                          the issue that causes so much stress, the following excercise would
                          be very helpful, and you may apply it every time in your life.
                          Thoughts come and go. You can observe this. You are always there, but
                          thoughts come, and then they leave and disappear.
                          An issue is a thought. You can observe this too. No thought of it, no
                          issue. The reccurence of some thoughts is very natural, it is how
                          mind works. Mind in this case is the bundle of thoughts. The way mind
                          (defined as this) survives, is trying to stay, pretending that the
                          thought will be eternal, but it is not. A thought cannot survive for
                          ever. It goes.
                          Peace is what you are. Peace is the base, thoughts appear to obscure
                          that peace. When the thought goes, peace is felt again. So peace is
                          always there, the struggles that thoughts bring with them just come,
                          and then go. This is very important to observe. It is basic.
                          Imagine a thief. When the thief is caught in its robbery, what does
                          he do? He runs away as quickly as possible, the thief disappears.
                          Now, imagine the thought as a thief. What is this thief trying to
                          steal? Peace. As soon as the thought is observed as what it is, (just
                          a thought), it will disappear.
                          Observe how thoughts arise, but do not follow them, do not feed them,
                          so that they starve and then leave. Observe how they leave. Another
                          thought will try to take its place, you may do the same thing, or may
                          just not worry at all.

                          I hope this helps, it is a practice highly recommended by the sages.

                          All the love,
                          maria luisa