Re: What is the correct posture

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
      Sitting is the most usual posture for meditation, but there are many
      ways to sit. IE: with feet tucked under the buttocks, crosslegged, on
      a cushion, flat on the ground, on a tiger skin, in the lotus
      position, and so on. Maintaining a straight line from the head to the
      neck, and down to the spine is probably the most common general
      suggestion. But the real key is to be in a posture that will allow
      you to not be distracted by the itching, twitching, shaking, and the
      other ways your mind will use your body to cause you to be unable to
      maintain your focus of attention. To extrapolate further, whatever
      bodily position (including lying down, sitting in a chair, etc.) that
      allows you to know that you are aware now, in this moment, is the
      right one. If you find that you tend to fall asleep in one position,
      try another. Eventually you will find the one that's right for you.
      On another level, what is important is well told in an ancient
      story...Once upon a time, the Buddha was asked, "What do you and your
      disciples practice?" and he replied, "We sit' we walk, we breath, and
      we eat." The questioner continued, "But sir, everyone sits, walks,
      breathes, and eats." The Buddha told him, "When we sit, we know we
      are sitting. When we walk, we know we are walking. When we breathe,we
      know we are breathing.And when we eat, we know we are eating."
      So, being aware of your sitting is what is important, not how you
      are sitting. Find the method that allows you to witness your life
      without comment, physical reactivity or emotional swings. Practice
      makes perfect sitting, standing, lying down, walking,...living.

      - <junu_t@y...> wrote:
      > Hi
      > I would like to know what is the correct posture for
      Meditation. Is it sitting straight or is it lying down on the floor.
      Or is there any other good postures. Would someone advice