What is the correct posture

  • junu_t
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
      Hi
      I would like to know what is the correct posture for Meditation. Is
      it sitting straight or is it lying down on the floor. Or is there any
      other good postures. Would someone advice
      thanks
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
        Sitting is the most usual posture for meditation, but there are many
        ways to sit. IE: with feet tucked under the buttocks, crosslegged, on
        a cushion, flat on the ground, on a tiger skin, in the lotus
        position, and so on. Maintaining a straight line from the head to the
        neck, and down to the spine is probably the most common general
        suggestion. But the real key is to be in a posture that will allow
        you to not be distracted by the itching, twitching, shaking, and the
        other ways your mind will use your body to cause you to be unable to
        maintain your focus of attention. To extrapolate further, whatever
        bodily position (including lying down, sitting in a chair, etc.) that
        allows you to know that you are aware now, in this moment, is the
        right one. If you find that you tend to fall asleep in one position,
        try another. Eventually you will find the one that's right for you.
        On another level, what is important is well told in an ancient
        story...Once upon a time, the Buddha was asked, "What do you and your
        disciples practice?" and he replied, "We sit' we walk, we breath, and
        we eat." The questioner continued, "But sir, everyone sits, walks,
        breathes, and eats." The Buddha told him, "When we sit, we know we
        are sitting. When we walk, we know we are walking. When we breathe,we
        know we are breathing.And when we eat, we know we are eating."
        So, being aware of your sitting is what is important, not how you
        are sitting. Find the method that allows you to witness your life
        without comment, physical reactivity or emotional swings. Practice
        makes perfect sitting, standing, lying down, walking,...living.