Online Books

  • tabularosa
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
      Bob, there have been quite a few books made available online recently
      on meditation that I just wanted to call to your attention, in case
      you were not aware of them.

      http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/new.html

      More specifically those books listed on March 4th, 5th and 8th.

      I have noticed recently when I try to become more self aware by
      tuning out the world, right as I implement the meditative process, my
      body is sending me signals such as thirst, awareness of constrictive
      clothing or a hangnail and other issues that I had overlooked when I
      was busy with day to day activities. Sometimes, I allow it to become
      such a distraction that I am drawn away from the tranquility I had
      hoped to achieve. Then I feel quilty to have fallen prey to this
      obvious ploy at undermining the mediative process. I sabotage my own
      desires of enhancement. What self discipline can I draw upon to
      overcome this obstacle? I have good intentions but can't always
      follow through with them.

      Tab
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 10, 2002
        Dear Tab, First of all, thanks for pointing to the wonderful online
        book resource. It is very very good. Now, as far as your feeling
        guilty about "undermining the mediative process" by noticing you have
        been distracted by one thing or another, please stop feeling guilt or
        upset, or anything negative. You should be feeling good about it. It
        means that you have been the Witness to your inappropriate
        reactivities, and this awareness is the exact thing that leads to
        liberation from them. So when you see that you have been distracted
        or are acting stupid, or anything like that, just say "Oh well!" and
        Just "Oh well" and back to witnessing your meditation. This method
        should become more and more a part of you "real life" as well.
        Whenever you Witness yourself in negativity, just say "Oh well", and
        do those things, like body awareness, breathing techniques, mantra, or
        whatever you have found helps bring you to a calm meditative state.
        Please start realizing that there are no "bad" meditation sessions,
        and often the ones you thought were bad or disappointing are the
        ones we learn the most from. I hope this helps. So, when you Witness
        yourself being distracted by "thirst, awareness of constrictive
        clothing or a hangnail and other issues", smile - you are getting
        more and more at one with your Witness and that is one of the
        greatest benefits you can gain from meditation.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., tabularosa <no_reply@y...>