Re: Hi, I'm new

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002
      Last night I went to
      their "hamsa" mantra technique and found a more positive result. I
      also realized that I should not have laid down, nor should I have
      brought myself to normal awareness quite so quickly, which is what
      caused my dizziness. The site even provides music to meditate to and
      I'm contemplating which of the CDs to buy.

      <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Welcome! Generally speaking, if something takes your peace away,
      it's
      > "bad", and if something let's you know real peace, it's "good". If
      > your admirable intention to change your confusion to clarity was
      > distracted by the dizzy feelings you experienced from the 4-4-8
      > technique, it probably indicates that this method is "bad" for you.
      > Of course, it can be said that one person's "dizzy" is another
      persons
      > "high", and for them, the exact same result from doing the 4-4-8
      > technique would be "good". Actually, It doesn't matter very much if
      > we call the experience good or bad. What is very important is that
      > your inner Witness recognized the dizzy effect. This indicates that
      > you were present, in the moment, alert to the reality of your life
      as
      > it was taking place. You had put aside the usual habitual
      fantasizing
      > about the future or rehashing the past, and were in the eternal
      NOW.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002
        The description of the Hamsa technique on the site you went to is
        actually incomplete. The "real" method is to just listen to the sound
        of your inhalation and the sound of the exhalation. Saying the words
        Ham and Sa are only preliminaries to this ancient technique. The word
        Soham is also used the same way, and is more commonly prescribed. In
        Sanscrit, the sound of the inhalation is termed So, and the
        exhalation is Ham. the word Soham is translated as "I Am That". This
        is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest Mantra, and is
        considered along with Om to be the most powerful of all techniques.
        The first sound we heard when we were in our mothers womb was the
        sound of her breath, and this sound has been with us ever since we
        drew our first breath. It negates the need to rely on any of the
        words of the languages of the world, whether human or animal. The
        ancient cavemen, before they had invented language or fire, would sit
        in their dark caves and have nothing else to focus on but the sound
        of their breath. Thus, this was the first meditation technique. It
        has brought people to transcendence of the wordly limitations from
        time immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done even while
        driving, working, and doing other acts of daily life and thereby
        offers a continuous experience of being in the present and an
        opportunity to know Reality, which only takes place now, in the
        present. Soham/Hamsa is a wonderful meditation technique and I hope
        will bring you the experience of Knowledge, Consciousness, and Bliss
        that is your birthright.