Hi, I'm new

  • pontifexxxmaximus
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2002
      I've recently tried the 4-4-8 breathing meditation for 3 sets of 12
      cycles as was recommended in the article on meditationsociety.com.
      After doing this, I became very dizzy and surprised, because I was
      dizzy. Before inhaling I thought of the word "clarity" and before
      exhaling I thought of "confusion". My goal is to interpret things
      more clearly and to spend more time working.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2002
        Welcome! Generally speaking, if something takes your peace away, it's
        "bad", and if something let's you know real peace, it's "good". If
        your admirable intention to change your confusion to clarity was
        distracted by the dizzy feelings you experienced from the 4-4-8
        technique, it probably indicates that this method is "bad" for you.
        Of course, it can be said that one person's "dizzy" is another persons
        "high", and for them, the exact same result from doing the 4-4-8
        technique would be "good". Actually, It doesn't matter very much if
        we call the experience good or bad. What is very important is that
        your inner Witness recognized the dizzy effect. This indicates that
        you were present, in the moment, alert to the reality of your life as
        it was taking place. You had put aside the usual habitual fantasizing
        about the future or rehashing the past, and were in the eternal NOW.
        This is the only time "clarity" can occur, and where there is
        clarity, there is no confusion. And the abscence of confusion is one
        of the prerequesits of being at peace. So, in a very real way, the
        meditation was probably more beneficial for you than if you would
        have had a mystical vision, or levitated, or if some other fantastic
        event happened.
        Persevere, try other techniques. You are close to realizing the
        Witness as your Real Self and being aware that it is always present
        and ready to let you merge with the greatest present - real peace.
        One technique is to simply inhale what you seek, saturate yourself
        with it and exhale that which you want to be rid of. This is called
        the 1-1-1 pranayama (breathing technique). For instance, you would
        fill with clarity, feel it fill you, and exhale confusion. The 1
        could be for any time frame that is comfortable for you. Perhaps
        inhale clarity for 1 second, hold the breath and saturate every
        aspect of your being with purifying clarity for 1 second, and then
        exhale all confusion for 1 second. Whatever feels right is the correct
        time frame for your breathing pattern. You might also like to try the
        Dalai Lama technique which is also on the Meditation Station site
        http://www.meditationsociety.com This method allows you to replace
        all "bad" characteristics with "good" ones, and you don't have to
        deal with your breath at all. In any event, please be patient with
        your meditation evolution. There are wonder-full and beneficial
        experiences ahead. You have always been at one with the inner
        Witness, and you will definitly recognize this more and more and will
        gain the clarity you seek and more than you ever dreamed as well.

        --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@y..., "pontifexxxmaximus"
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002
          Last night I went to
          their "hamsa" mantra technique and found a more positive result. I
          also realized that I should not have laid down, nor should I have
          brought myself to normal awareness quite so quickly, which is what
          caused my dizziness. The site even provides music to meditate to and
          I'm contemplating which of the CDs to buy.

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2002
            The description of the Hamsa technique on the site you went to is
            actually incomplete. The "real" method is to just listen to the sound
            of your inhalation and the sound of the exhalation. Saying the words
            Ham and Sa are only preliminaries to this ancient technique. The word
            Soham is also used the same way, and is more commonly prescribed. In
            Sanscrit, the sound of the inhalation is termed So, and the
            exhalation is Ham. the word Soham is translated as "I Am That". This
            is referred to as the "Mahamantra", the Greatest Mantra, and is
            considered along with Om to be the most powerful of all techniques.
            The first sound we heard when we were in our mothers womb was the
            sound of her breath, and this sound has been with us ever since we
            drew our first breath. It negates the need to rely on any of the
            words of the languages of the world, whether human or animal. The
            ancient cavemen, before they had invented language or fire, would sit
            in their dark caves and have nothing else to focus on but the sound
            of their breath. Thus, this was the first meditation technique. It
            has brought people to transcendence of the wordly limitations from
            time immemorial and continues to do so. It can be done even while
            driving, working, and doing other acts of daily life and thereby
            offers a continuous experience of being in the present and an
            opportunity to know Reality, which only takes place now, in the
            present. Soham/Hamsa is a wonderful meditation technique and I hope
            will bring you the experience of Knowledge, Consciousness, and Bliss
            that is your birthright.