Help Us End The Need For Meditation Classes

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3 11:18 PM
      We will be starting the first class of the semester tonight for the
      Haverford Adult School Program, and I'm sure the room will be full of
      stress reduction seekers. It would really be great if this class was
      unnecessary. Whenever I start a new meditation class, I go around the
      room and ask the students why they are there. Most commonly, a few
      have come because they enjoy guided meditations, some because they
      have tried to meditate on their own and have found they can't
      concentrate, a few to attain greater spiritual knowledge, but
      invariably most of the people are there for stress management. This
      always reminds me of the need to fulfill our goal of getting
      meditation in education. I look forward to the day when every student
      is there just to improve their understanding, or their actual
      experience of meditation. And this would be because they have already
      learned the underlying concepts of meditation, and several different
      techniques as part of their basic education. I have a lot of
      compassion for the adults who have to go to classes to learn about
      meditation. This is mostly limited to the so-called "advanced"
      countries. More than half the world knows these things by the time
      they are teenagers. We often look down on them because they don't
      have material riches. But they also don't have the road rage, divorce,
      violence in the streets, disrespect towards their elders, and so on,
      that we have. So who possesses the real treasures? We have been
      shortchanged and we should be doing all we can to make sure our kids
      won't be equally impoverished. We should be preparing our children to
      handle the stress they will certainly face, and meditation is
      probably the best way to do this. The Meditation Society of America is
      dedicated to getting meditation taught in every level of education.
      Please let us know of any ways that could help this happen sooner
      than later, and please consider helping us in this effort.
      Peace and blessings,
      Bob Rose
    • hbuljan
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 5 1:26 PM
        There is something about stress and the way I see it.
        Stress - disaster or a new beginning. It is nothing, nothing that
        hasn´been felt. Stress or overpressure of our body and soul man had
        felt thousansdsyears before, on his own way. However, we feel that
        this overpressure has become more various and much stronger in our
        everyday´s life. Rythm of life, work pressure, race for money, …are
        destroying our peace and making our boby to suffer. There are so many
        examples of it and everyone could start counting his reasons for
        beeing tensed or disappointed. Also, you can´t avoid it just like
        that. Stress is a huge evil of modern days, it´s enough just to take
        a look at all those illnes and disoerders(high blood pressure, heart
        attack, cansers,…) that could came after it to see how serious is it.
        Reasons that are causing strees could be directly, lately and
        cronicly by its working.
        1. In direct working of stress, body activates itself in a way to
        face with danger. We don´t feel the pain so intesively and becoming
        to think and remember. Our lungs are trying to take more air, blood
        pressure and heart beating is becoming higher, blood delivers more
        oxygen to our muscles, digestion isn´t working and so on.
        2. Late working of stress causes disorders on our brain,
        immunofissionscy system,…Few minutes after stress our organism is
        trying to recover and calm itself, and brain is trying to rework it.
        3. Cronicle working of stress is making disorders on all of those
        mentioned organs, and if stress is beeing repeated, there can be
        serious damages made on them. Cronicle stress that attacks
        immunofissioncy system can make our organism week and easy to infect,
        ….
        You can´t always avoid stress but you should try to calm and reduce
        it. Hans Selye once said that stress is "spice of life" If we want to
        defeat it we have to get to know it, maybe just by asking ourselves a
        few questions an trying to give an answers:
        1. Whaut causes strong unpleasant feelings of anger and tensesness?
        2. What causes my pain in the stomack, exhaustion, heart beating,
        neck stiffness?
        3. Do I sleep enough and peacefuly, or what disturbs my dreams?
        4. If it´s hard for me to concetrate, what are the thoughts that
        upset me?
        5. What keeps me from normal relaxing, feeding,…?
        You shouldn´t react on stress agressivly, it´s better to take some
        time and think about it. Different kinds of stress are requiering
        different solutions, but you should always think before reactions. It
        is also good to write down all that you are fighting with sometimes
        talk to someone about it. Worries are making some sort of tensesness
        and ruining our concentration. One way to make it easier is to play
        some sport, walking or doing any other similar activity. Our
        spiritual life is on strike and we have to defend it. We can also
        find where Jesus talks about it(Lk 12,22): "Don´t worry…"
        This is how Heiko Ernst makes few decisions to make life easier:
        1. To be calm and to meet stress with more peace in circumstances
        where stress is showing up.
        2. To be with people, hang out with them. To spend more time with
        family, friends,…
        3. To learn simplicity of beeing. To find some play and fun in my
        life, because of seriousity of our lives.
        4. Learn how to have more time! Don´t work to hard!
        5. To gain a harmony in my life by discovering my hiden talents and
        abilities.
        6. To be fully present at this very moment.Concentrate yourself on
        important!
        We are becoming tired of life and Jesus is calling(Mt 11,28).:"Come
        to me…and I will rest you." He will direct us, just like disciples,
        after hard work (Mk 6,31) so that we could rest and prepare our self
        to spread the Gospel worldwide.
        I hope you´ll find this usefull to end your classes.
        hb