Meditating on Life and Death

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5, 2014
      "Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present."

      Ludwig Wittgenstein
    • dan330033
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2014
        Yes, nice quote - thanks!

        Only on thing: there aren't any "those" inside the present.

        There is only being this present/presence.

        To live as present isn't something someone else can detect.

        Because it's not divided into a me over here and a you over there (such a  division involves the assumption of duration).

        If you don't assume duration, everything is absolutely equal.

        Because there is nothing to separate anything or divide anything (separating and dividing, requires time).

        So, now you see why people don't choose to live in the present:

        a) there aren't any "people" in here
        b) no choice is involved - the present always, already is what is

        and
        c) it is utterly equal, undivided

        People want to keep on being people, they want to get and have, they want to be able to exist as a chooser and a doer, and they don't want absolute equality, they want "better" vs. "worse" ...

        Anyone who "gazes long into this abyss" as Nietzsche put it, sees what is involved, and what is automatically given up, surrendered ...

        So, don't gaze into this abyss.  You may go nuts, but if you maintain your balance and keep looking, your whole sense of reality and personhood will be up for dissolution ...

        People are caught between a fear that they have no existence, and a fear that they exist but it can be taken away from them ... And the last thing they want is the "resolution" of this dilemma ... and thus, we have wars, crimes, lies, manipulations, aggressions, avoidances, and spiritual paths ... anything to try to keep the dilemma going but turn it to one's advantage and security somehow ...

        - D -

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 9, 2014

            LOL!

            You are killing me with kindness ...