Any Recommendations on Meditation Instructor Training?

  • cnmngrl1111
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 20, 2014

      I'm new to the group and have especially enjoyed the recent post of the "How Do We Know?" story.   I thought I would reach out to the group and inquire about meditation instructor training.  I'm feeling called to do this kind of work and am at this point asking around to see what others be able to recommend for certification training.  I plan to look into what is offered close to where I live at Naropa University in Boulder.  I'm specifically looking for meditation instructor training that is nondenominational, i.e., not following a specific guru or any particular religious order or tradition, although it could be infomative to find a training course that offers an overview of various types of meditation, the history of it, as you might find with comparative religions course.

      Could anyone in the group offer any suggestions/recommendations/referrals for me for studies in meditation instructor training?

      Many thanks,

      Theresa

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2014
        Yo Theresa,
        There are a few very good resources in Boulder besides the Naropa University. Below are 2 more. All 3 of these deal with Mindfulness, Buddhist and Hindu traditional meditation techniques. It has been said that when you are ready a teacher will take you as her or his student. The hard part in this interaction is being a ready student :-)
        BTW --- Please pat yourself on your spiritual back. You are doing the exact "best" thing you can do for your Self....meditation practice!
        I wish you well.
        Insight Meditation Community of Colorado - Home Page

          Boulder Shambhala CenterBoulder Shambhala Center

      • cnmngrl1111
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 22, 2014
          A Big Wholehearted Yo Backatcha, Bob!

          Thanks so much for the info, links, and kind words of encouragement!  I've been to the meditation hall at Shambala and it is absolutely GORGEOUS. A bit too many rules for my liking (recovering Catholic here), but man, what a beautiful location.  I haven't heard of the CO Insight Community and will look into that also.  I definitely lean toward mindfulness meditation and would like to offer a perspective that's a bit broader than Buddha or Hindu while still incorporating the viewpoints of those traditions into the mix.

          Thanks again for offering those suggestions and cheering me on in my efforts to explore what other resources and opportunities might exist for me locally.

          Yes, yes, the teacher will come ...  :)

          -T