The Key to Meditation

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 10, 2014

       “Meditation is a process of lightening up, of trusting the basic goodness of what we have and who we are, and of realizing that any wisdom that exists, exists in what we already have. We can lead our life so as to become more awake to who we are and what we’re doing rather than trying to improve or change or get rid of who we are or what we’re doing. The key is to wake up, to become more alert, more inquisitive and curious about ourselves.”

      Pema Chodron

      permission from the copyright owner.

    • walterhorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 15, 2014
        "Meditation is a process of lightening up, of trusting the basic goodness of what we have and who we are...."

        I particularly like that portion of the quote. It seems to me sometimes that humans (like many other animals) are programmed with a flight-or-fight response.  And that's a good thing on many occasions.  But are things in the world that can't be fought or run from. Change, aging, deterioration, and death, for example.  To run from them or try to fight them is simply to futilely rebel against what is. Even worse.  We're part of this universe, so to try to run away or fight it is, in a sense, to fight with or run from ourselves.

        Meditation is a wholly different way. And it's not one that comes with our animality.  It's a way of acceptance. It's calming rather than blood-pressure-raising. Once we learn it, we will find that it comes to our aid during the worst times in our lives--times that can't either be run from or fought.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2014
          Excellent insight-full sharing W. Brought to mind St Bob Marley's lyrics from the great Kaya album...............................

          Running Away

          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running,
          But ya can't run away from yourself
          Can't run away from yourself -
          Can't run away from yourself -
          Can't run away from yourself -
          Can't run away from yourself -
          Can't run away from yourself.

          Ya must have done (must have done),
          Somet'in' wrong (something wrong).
          Said: ya must have done (must have done),
          Wo! somet'in' wrong (something wrong).
          Why you can't find the

          Place where you belong?
          Do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do (running away);
          Do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do (running away);
          Do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do (running away);
          Do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do (running away);
          Do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do (running away).

          Every man thinketh his
          Burden is the heaviest (heaviest).
          Every man thinketh his
          Burden is the heaviest (heaviest).
          Ya still mean it: who feels it knows it, lord;
          Who feels it knows it, lord;
          Who feels it knows it, lord;
          Who feels it knows it, lord.

          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running
          And ya running away.
          Ya running and ya running
          But ya can't run away from yourself.
          Could ya run away from yourself?
          Can you run away from yourself?
          Can't run away from yourself!
          Can't run away from yourself!
          Yeah-eah-eah-eah - from yourself.

          Brr - you must have done somet'in' -
          Somet'in' - somet'in' - somet'in' -
          Somet'in' ya don't want nobody to know about:
          Ya must have, lord - somet'in' wrong,
          What ya must have done - ya must have done somet'in' wrong.
          Why you can't find where you belong?

          Well, well, well, well, ya running away, heh, no -
          Ya running away, ooh, no, no, no,
          I'm not (running away), no, don't say that - don't say that,
          'cause (running away) i'm not running away, ooh! (running away)
          I've got to protect my life, (running away)
          And i don't want to live with no strife. (running away)
          It is better to live on the housetop (running away)
          Than to live in a house full of confusion. (running away)
          So, i made my decision and i left ya; (running away)
          Now you comin' to tell me (running away)
          That i'm runnin' away. (running away)
          But it's not true, (running away)
          I am not runnin' away. (running away) /fadeout/

          permission from the copyright owner.