Quotes From Pope Francis's Interview With An Athiest

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2013

      http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/on-faith/pope-francis-stirs-debate-yet-again-with-interview-with-an-atheist-italian-journalist/2013/10/01/9e7a6790-2acb-11e3-97a3-ff2758228523_print.html

      Speaking about a mystical experience he had the night he was picked to be pope:

      “My head was completely empty and I was seized by a great anxiety. To make it go

      away and relax I closed my eyes and made every thought disappear, even the thought

      of refusing to accept the position, as the liturgical procedure allows,” he said. “I closed

      my eyes and I no longer had any anxiety or emotion. At a certain point I was filled with

      a great light.”

      Asked if there is a single vision of good, and who decides, Francis says:

      “Each of us has a vision of good and of evil. We have to encourage people to

      move towards what they think is good ... Everyone has his own idea of good and evil

      and must choose to follow the good and fight evil as he conceives them. That would

      be enough to make the world a better place.”

      Asked if he feels touched by grace, Francis tells the atheist reporter that the holy

      quality “is the amount of light in our souls, not knowledge nor reason. Even you,

      without knowing it, could be touched by grace.”

      permission from the copyright owner.