RE: Death and How to Prepare For It

  • walterhorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 24, 2013

      You wrote,
      When you die, what once were the cells that made up your flesh and bones will go into
      the earth and merge with the soil where they may be joined with other molecules
      that grow in the earth, like grass, get eaten by cows, which get eaten by people.
      They then get diffused as food into the cell structure of the person who ate them. If a
      body gets cremated, the particles are dispersed into the air and could be inhaled
      into someone's lungs and merge with that person's cell structure.

      I love that idea and I wish it were true. But, unfortunately, that sort of burial is illegal in almost every state these days.  They don't want human corpses fouling the ground water.  So they make the coffins as if they were NASA fuel containers.

      I suppose we can get still breathed in, if we go the cremation route, though.

      ---In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, <meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      You're not your body, you're not your mind, you're not your emotions. What you are,
      who you are, who your Real Self is, is the consciousness that can witness your
      physical, mental, and emotional reactivity and activity. It is your birthright to know
      this consciousness and recognize its energy, infiniteness, and eternal nature as
      your own.

      When you drop this body, you will not be doing anything new or different. Every night
      you go to sleep in your physical body and awaken to and use your astral/dream
      body. That already accounts for 1/3 of your life that you don't spend interacting with
      your pus, urine, feces, mucous, phlegm container. Even during the other 16 hours
      of the day, we are rarely in touch with our body. Virtually all of our time is
      spent daydreaming about fulfilling our desires and fantasies or regretting what we
      have done to others or what they have done to us. "I would of, should of, could of"
      disease runs rampant and takes up huge chunks of our life. We rarely are aware of
      what our body is experiencing and even when we are it is usually only one sensation
      at a time. If we're listening to something, for instance, we are totally unaware of what
      our body is seeing, touching, tasting, or smelling. Thus, in a way, most of the time,
      4/5 of our body is dead to us. Looking at the situation scientifically, we are a collection
      of cells made up of molecular compositions that are in constant flux. There is never
      a second that our atomic structure isn't changing. Every moment our molecules
      are different, our cells are different, our body is different. In this perspective, our
      body dies and is reborn every second. In reality, every atom in your body has
      changed from the time you started reading this until this very moment. And in this
      Now, you are again completely different. Similarly, when that inevitable moment
      comes when the energy of life leaves your body forever, the cellular, molecular,
      atomic, and subatomic structure of your body will simply continue doing what it
      always has. Your cellular composition will change into other molecular groupings.
      Atomic and sub-atomic processes will break down your molecules into components
       that will merge with other molecules and life will go on.

      When you die, what once were the cells that made up your flesh and bones will go into
      the earth and merge with the soil where they may be joined with other molecules
      that grow in the earth, like grass, get eaten by cows, which get eaten by people.
      They then get diffused as food into the cell structure of the person who ate them. If a
      body gets cremated, the particles are dispersed into the air and could be inhaled
      into someone's lungs and merge with that person's cell structure. If a body is buried
      at sea, its parts could be eaten by a fish that gets eaten by a person and becomes
      an integral part of their body. The cell absorption process merges the bodies and
      life continues. This has been going on for millions of years. It has been said that with every inhalation, we breathe in atoms that once were part of everyone who has
      ever lived.

      Please meditate on these obvious facts of life and cease and desist your illusion of
      being your body. It is simply an ever-changing collection of atoms that will continue changing forever, whether there is a living energy in it or not. You are not your mind
      or emotions either. They keep constantly changing, are inconsistent, and yet you
      know intuitively, in your gut, that you are constant. When you are awake or dreaming,
      your thoughts and feelings fluctuate between good and bad, happy and sad, clear
      and cloudy, calm and distressed, depending on the internal or external things
      stimulating you at the time.

      What you are is the consciousness that can and does witness the activity and changes
      of your mind, body, and emotions. It is not that which comments, judges, or
      compares. That is a function of your mind called your intellect. Rather, it is that
      which witnesses the commentary, judgments, and comparisons in silence that you
      are when you say, "I AM". This consciousness is within everything, everywhere
      witnessing everything, everywhere. When you stop identifying with your body, mind,
      and emotions, as happens at death, you gain the opportunity to tune into the
      infinite consciousness and witness all the permutations of life that have eluded you
      when you limited your experience to just those things experienced via the five senses
      of the human body and the finite intellectualizations and emotionality that go with
      them. Just as a chick gains new freedom when it emerges from its shell, you will enjoy
      an exquisite, infinite release from bondage when you drop your attachment to your
      body. Like a butterfly freed from its cocoon, you will soar into the stream of
      universal consciousness. Once free from the limitations of experiencing life with
      only 5 senses, you will never want to go back. And yet you will have to until the
      time comes when you have evolved beyond the misidentification of your self as
      apart from the rest of the universe instead of as a part of it. To help you achieve
      this merging and emerging, you have to stop fearing the passing of your body
      and prepare to do it calmly with a willingness to face the next phase of your evolution
      as the silent Witness that in fact you are and have always been. To help accomplish
      this, there is a specific meditation technique that allows you to practice what it will
      be like to die. It allows your real self, your Witness, to become more apparent to you
      at the same time as you become aware of that which will occur at the time of death.

      It is very easy to do this technique and yet very few meditations have such a
      great potential for learning and making a profound evolution in your conquering
      of the fear of death. Simply inhale slowly and deeply, as slow and deep as you can.
      Hold your breath as long as you can. Then, exhale as slowly and fully as is
      comfortable and then refrain from inhaling again for as long as you can. Repeat this
      12 times, rest and do 3 or 11 more sets of this inhale, hold, exhale, hold rhythm.
      You may find it quite strange feeling, even alarming, when you first try to have no air
      in your lungs, but you will soon find that the more relaxed you stay during that time,
      the easier it becomes and the more comfortable you become. As a matter of fact,
      this may become the most influential technique you ever do for self knowledge.
      You can learn greatly about the way our body, mind, and emotions are reacting
      and causing you to react to the fear of death. You will gain first-hand knowledge
      of your real identity as the Witness that is transcendent of the body, mind, and
      emotions and gain the kind of faith that only the surety that first-hand experience
      can provide. There really is going to be a time that will come when you exhale and
      never inhale in this body again. Virtually every religion has prayers and rituals for
      the time of death and just after, that are intended to bring a calming to the one
      going through the experience. This meditation technique will get you used to the
      state and you will be calm and collected at that precise precious time you die forever
      to the attachment to this body. You can then collect your heavenly reward and truly
      live happily ever after.
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013

        Good stuff Sri W! But... looking at the situation in it's (real) universal perspective, I wonder what if anything that has been "man made" will not have turned to dust in, say, 2 billion years.

        I like the inhale the ashes concept. There is a 70's "new-age" cliche that with every breath we are inhaling the very atoms that made up the bodies of Jesus, Buddha, etc. Seems amazing that we pay more attention to our material desires than we do to the potential to accumulate holy energy and focus on that instead.

        In any event, these are all "Words! Words! Words!" as Kir Li Molari once said, and perhaps we should spend some time focusing on the reality of our imminent death, but most assuredly, we should be focusing on our life as it takes place!

        Peace and blesings,

        Bob