Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Sep 23, 2013
      "Many people feel that discipline means a lack of freedom, a repression or joyless
      life. But imagine that you are tied to the saddle of a galloping horse, clinging for your
      life, hoping that somehow the horse might feel sympathy and stop. Is that enjoyment?
      That is the situation when we do not have discipline over our minds. The person
      who really enjoys horseback riding is the one who controls the horse, who can
      stop whenever he or she wants.

      You will enjoy the world when you know how to handle it well, when you become master
      of it. Who is the person who enjoys eating? The one who eats well, chews well,
      digests well, and assimilates well, not the one who eats for the sake of the
      tongue, overloads the stomach, and then uses purgatives.

      If your friends laugh at you and say, 'With Yoga you are just running away from the
      world; you are not going to enjoy anything,' tell them, 'We are the people who are going
      to enjoy it best because we are working to bring everything under our control.
      We don't want to be controlled by anything. We want to be masters of our tongues
      and our eyes. We won't be slaves to our desires.' This is the aim of Yoga."

      - Sri Swami Satchidananda
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.