Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 199 , Sep 23, 2013
      "Many people feel that discipline means a lack of freedom, a repression or joyless
      life. But imagine that you are tied to the saddle of a galloping horse, clinging for your
      life, hoping that somehow the horse might feel sympathy and stop. Is that enjoyment?
      That is the situation when we do not have discipline over our minds. The person
      who really enjoys horseback riding is the one who controls the horse, who can
      stop whenever he or she wants.

      You will enjoy the world when you know how to handle it well, when you become master
      of it. Who is the person who enjoys eating? The one who eats well, chews well,
      digests well, and assimilates well, not the one who eats for the sake of the
      tongue, overloads the stomach, and then uses purgatives.

      If your friends laugh at you and say, 'With Yoga you are just running away from the
      world; you are not going to enjoy anything,' tell them, 'We are the people who are going
      to enjoy it best because we are working to bring everything under our control.
      We don't want to be controlled by anything. We want to be masters of our tongues
      and our eyes. We won't be slaves to our desires.' This is the aim of Yoga."

      - Sri Swami Satchidananda
    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)