Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 199 , Sep 11, 2013

      Either You Keep The Basket In The Boat Or On Your Shoulder

      Once a man was sailing in a small boat with a few other

      people. All of a sudden the boatman said, "The boat seems

      to be overloaded. The water is coming up higher and higher,

      and we are about to capsize. If we want to stay afloat, we have

      to lighten the load in the boat."

      Immediately the man said, "Oh, don't worry; I can take care

      of it." He had a heavy basket in the bottom of the boat, so he picked it up and put it on his head. "Is it okay now?" It was a

      heavy basket; so he thought, "I will just carry the basket

      and reduce the weight in the boat."

      Whenever you say, "I did it," you are carrying your basket while sitting in the boat.

      The truth is, no matter where the basket is, all of the weight is being carried by the

      boat. Whether you keep it in the bottom of the boat or on your head is immaterial.

      As long as you feel that you are carrying it, you are responsible, you are

      doing something, fine, then carry it. The Lord just smiles: "All right, let her carry it."

      But, if you decide to put the weight on God's shoulder, God is ready and willing to

      carry it. The freedom is there. You can either keep the basket in the boat, or on your

      head. Sensible people will keep it in the boat; egoistic people will keep it on their

      head, that's all. Ultimately, the whole weight is being carried by God.

      Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi

    • T Koenke Diaz
      Message 199 of 199 , May 23 7:52 AM
        This is just so right on.  Thank you once again  :)