Becoming Well Balanced

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 8:17 AM
      We all have a predisposition to react either physically,
      emotionally, or intellectually. This makes us unbalanced,
      habitual, compulsive, and slave-like in our reactivity.
      A good Meditation teacher will be able to advise us how
      to recognize which of these characteristics is our most
      predominate and suggest (“prescribe”) meditation techniques
      that help us gain control over our primary reactivity,
      and others that strengthen the other 2 aspects of our nature.
      The end result is being well balanced with Self knowledge
      and Self control. As an example, let’s say that we are
      primarily reactive emotionally. Our meditative task would
      be to gain control over our emotional reactivity, and to
      strengthen our physical and intellectual awareness and
      reactions to the strength level of our emotions. This will
      leave us well balanced. So, for example, the emotionally
      reactive person, who is trying to get this reactivity under
      control, may do well to do meditation techniques that
      emphasize dispassion, while doing intellectual techniques
      like pondering the ancient formula of “I am not my body,
      I am not my mind, I am not my emotions”, as well as doing
      physical awareness exercises such as the Zen tea ceremony.
      In some traditions, like the Sufi, or “4th way” of Gurdjieff,
      it is only the person who has achieved this balanced, Self
      controlled state who is able to act. Until that point is reached,
      the teaching is that we are merely in a robot-like dream state,
      and cannot “do” anything. And our life is just one reaction
      after another.

      Meditation is the methodology that shines the light of our
      inner Witness and wakes us up from our dream.