Mullah Nasrudin's Irish Cousin Goban

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19 6:57 PM
      Once the Goban was in the Tabhairne (tavern)drinking
      mead as usual. At the next table a rowdy group - led by
      Cairbre O Loingsigh, the sea-captain's son - was loudly recapitulating the Goban's various adventures and
      misadventures.

      The stories invariably ended in roars of laughter. The whole
      idea was to show what a foolish and ridiculous character
      the Goban was.

      They kept glancing gleefully and maliciously in the
      Goban's direction, but he paid no attention whatsoever.
      In fact, he seemed completely unconcerned and even gave
      the impression that the thoughts running through his head
      were of a pleasant nature.

      Gradually - since they were getting no response - the rowdy
      group's joviality seemed to run down and they became quieter
      and quieter . Some continued to glance maliciously over at
      the Goban, but now frustration clouded some faces , others
      seemed puzzled or annoyed.

      At last , Conaill Mac Carthaigh , the tavern-owner - his
      curiosity aroused - wandered over to the Goban and said :

      "Goban : did you not hear what those layabouts were saying
      about you ? Aren't you going to do something about it ?"

      Suddenly the whole tavern went quiet, waiting for the
      Goban's response:

      Blinking, as if coming out of a dream, the Goban said:

      "..Well, now, tavern-keeper, if I'm walking along the road
      of an evening, minding my own business, and an 'oul donkey
      leans over a gate and brays at me, I'm not going to get upset,
      am I? Because that's what donkeys do ..!"
      permission from the copyright owner.