Words of Wisdom by Genpo Roshi

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 5:49 AM
      "We practice meditation in order to see ourselves as we
      truly are and life as it truly is. when we are suffering,
      we can look inside to find the cause - always some form
      of clinging. By noticing how quickly we attach to new ideas
      and perspectives, we can begin to unlearn the habit. One
      trick is to watch for moments when we feel the need to
      defend ourselves or our point of view. Defensiveness is
      always a red flag; it shows that we have once again become
      stuck in a point of view. We are pretending to be solid,
      and we want everyone else to go along with it. With a little
      honesty and effort, we can determine where we are stuck and
      then choose to let go. Gradually we become more flexible,
      finding it easier to let go of our perspectives. We take this
      'me' less seriously, appreciating instead our dynamic and
      unfixed true nature.

      With practice, we begin to see the world from the perspective
      of BIG MIND, which can see all perspectives but clings to none.
      We learn that it is possible to return to the view of BIG
      MIND whenever we've become stuck. It's easiest to assume that
      we're stuck somewhere; we only have to figure out where and
      then let go. Liberation from the self is living each day
      without a place to stand or ideas about who we are. That's when
      we can dance with life."

      From: The Path of the Human Being
      permission from the copyright owner.