Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Mar 30 5:29 PM
      Free from Identification

      "You are not the mind, not the body. They are your instruments.
      You are not your intellect. You should teach yourself to be
      completely free from wrong identification. When you really
      understand that you are not the body, when the skin droops a
      little you won't be unhappy, you won't try to have plastic
      surgery for that, because after all it's just skin. If you have
      a lot of money in the bank, you say, `Oh I am rich.' All of a
      sudden, if the bank collapses, do you become poor? Don't
      identify yourself with money, name, position, the body, the
      mind and so on. Then you will really enjoy this life and the
      world. When you know that you are different from what you possess,
      then you won't allow those things to possess, define and bind you.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      The year 2014 marks the auspicious occassion of the
      centennial (100th birth anniversary) of Sri Gurudev
      Swami Satchidananda.

      Please join Satchidananda Ashram-Yogaville and Integral Yoga International in creating a Global Garlandin celebration of the Centennial and to honor the many contributions of by the world
      by Sri Gurudev. During 2013 we hope you will join us in planning special events, programs, activities, that will be a growing and inspiring global garland to offer Sri Gurudev during 2014.
      The Global Garland officially begins on December 22, 2013 with
      the opening of an Ayurvedic Center in Pune, India in honor of
      Sri Gurudev and will culminate back in India on December 22, 2014 with the dedication of the Light Of Truth Universal Shrine under construction now at Satchidananda Alayam (Sri Gurudev's birthplace) in Chettipalayam (South India). Be a part of the Global Garland
      by visiting our Facebook pages and sharing your ideas and
      activities so that the entire year of 2014 is filled with
      offerings that share the timeless teachings of Yoga that we
      have been so blessed to receive from Sri Gurudev.

      Thank you. Om Shanti. Jai Gurudev!

      Here's the page - www.facebook.com/GlobalGarland

      Here's the group's page - facebook.com/groups/GlobalGarland

      To post to the group (after joining) by email - GlobalGarland@...
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.