Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 16, 2013
      Love for Love's Sake

      "Please don't do business in the name of love. The hubby
      looks at the wife and says, `Honey, I love you,' and then
      keeps on looking at her face. She should turn around and say,
      `Darling, I love you too.' And, if that honey refuses or fails
      or even hesitates to return that love, where will the honey go? Straight to the divorce lawyer. That means that I love you, but
      only if you love me. If you don't give your love, I won't love
      you anymore. Is that what you call love? In my language, it is business. That's why there is so much unhappiness in relationships, because we do business constantly. Let's not mistake business for
      love. Love for the joy of loving and you'll always enjoy.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."
      Join Satchidananda Ashram's Satsang every Saturday evening

      and share the archive with friends.

      7:30pm Eastern, with Livestream

      new.livestream.com/yogaville
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda