Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 193 , Mar 16, 2013
      Love for Love's Sake

      "Please don't do business in the name of love. The hubby
      looks at the wife and says, `Honey, I love you,' and then
      keeps on looking at her face. She should turn around and say,
      `Darling, I love you too.' And, if that honey refuses or fails
      or even hesitates to return that love, where will the honey go? Straight to the divorce lawyer. That means that I love you, but
      only if you love me. If you don't give your love, I won't love
      you anymore. Is that what you call love? In my language, it is business. That's why there is so much unhappiness in relationships, because we do business constantly. Let's not mistake business for
      love. Love for the joy of loving and you'll always enjoy.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."
      Join Satchidananda Ashram's Satsang every Saturday evening

      and share the archive with friends.

      7:30pm Eastern, with Livestream

      new.livestream.com/yogaville
      Message 193 of 193 , Dec 25, 2014

        Question: I have a growing desire to see God. It has become the thing I want most. But no matter how much I long for Him, my worldly duties and needs get in the way. Can you help me?

        Sri Swami Satchidananda: How do you know that you have not seen Him? I heard Him saying, "I have been in front of this person so many times, but he never even recognized Me. He was calling, calling, calling for Me. So I went there many times, stood right in front of him, and he didn't even bother to look at Me. He just brushed Me aside and kept on saying, 'God, where are You? Where are You?'"

        Before you look for God, you should know what He looks like, or at least what God is. God has no particular form, but He appears in all forms and names. It is with His consciousness that I am saying all these things; and with His consciousness, you are listening. To simplify it, we say that God is all consciousness - superconsciousness, cosmic consciousness - or peace. God is already there in you as peace, but you disturb your peace by searching for God. Stop searching and disturbing your peace, and you will experience God. A disturbed mind can never understand God. Looking for God is not our first and foremost duty. Our first and foremost duty is to take care not to let the mind lose its peace. You don't have to make the mind peaceful. If you leave it alone, it is peaceful. In our own lives we should see that we don't lose our peace due to our thoughts, words, actions.

        Learn to remain undisturbed, unshakeable, as steady as the Rock of Gibraltar. You should treasure the peace of your mind so much that nothing, nothing, nothing would shake you. You should be ready to renounce anything and everything that is going to disturb your peace. Name, fame, money, power, position, relatives, friends - all should be secondary to maintaining your peace. Everything else is nothing compared to peace of mind. With that peace, you will easily see God.

        Om shant. Om shanti. Om shanti.