Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 9, 2013
      Balancing Emotions

      "Emotional upsets are due mostly to our lack of understanding.
      If we use our reasoning, we won't get into emotional upsets.
      We shouldn't give room for upsets, but that doesn't mean that
      we should be completely free from emotions. Emotions work from
      the heart. We should be loving. We should have tender hearts, compassionate hearts, but not blind attachment. Heart and head
      should go together. The head alone will not help us much. In the
      same way, heart alone will not help much. Mere reasoning without
      any feeling will be of no use. We'll be machines, robots, that's
      all. There should be feeling and will; use your will to balance
      your feelings. They should go together.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Join Satchidananda Ashram's Satsang every Saturday evening

      and share the archive with friends.

      7:30pm Eastern, with Livestream

      new.livestream.com/yogaville
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda