Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Mar 2, 2013
      Live Your Meditation

      "Ultimately meditation should be lived all through
      the 24 hours of the day. It's not that you just meditate
      only in the morning or in the evening. Meditate on
      everything you do, on everything you think. When you
      talk, meditate on that. When you eat, meditate on that.
      When you sleep, meditate on that. So I say concentration
      should be on everything. When we eat, we don't seem to
      concentrate on eating. We are very busy doing business or
      talking about some serious world problem. When you eat,
      if you don't concentrate on eating, you don't know exactly
      what you ate and how much you ate. Concentrate on eating.
      Chew well. Swallow well. Drink all your solids. Eat all your liquids.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."
      Join Satchidananda Ashram's Satsang every Saturday evening

      and share the archive with friends.

      7:30pm Eastern, with Livestream

      new.livestream.com/yogaville
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16 4:18 AM

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda