A Bad Meditation Can Be A Good Meditation

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2013
      You're sitting comfortably in your favorite spot, all is well,
      you're calm, cool, and collected. You start to meditate,
      perhaps repeating a mantra, and then you find you just can't concentrate. Let's say that you intend to say OM over and over.
      What sometimes happens is that after you say OM a few times,
      your inner chatterer starts making comments. It may go like this…
      "Om sounds like home. Boy, wouldn't it be nice to buy a new home.
      " And then it continues "They just built a few new homes in New Jersey. If I take the turnpike I can get there pretty quickly.
      But there may be a lot of traffic. I might get stuck in it for hours", and so on, and so on. So, there you are, not just not experiencing OM, but now you're in gridlock and starting to feel
      road rage! Then, you realize that you've lost your concentration
      and instead of just returning to meditating on OM, your inner chatterer starts chastising you with statements like "You can't meditate! You're no good! You're incompetent!' and so on. Then
      it starts filling you with self-pity things like "I suffer so.
      If only I could control my mind, but I can't and never will."
      Of course, this is even further away from OM than driving on the turnpike. But there is also something very good happening as
      well, and it may prove to be far more beneficial in the long run
      than if you would have had a meditation that included visions of heaven and feelings of bliss.

      There is an awareness, a consciousness within you that is a
      silent Witness to everything your senses react with, your mind thinks, and your emotions feel. It has been witnessing since you
      were born. When you were a baby and couldn't judge, compare, or comment in any way about anything, it was already witnessing.
      As a matter of fact, this Witness is your only hope of eternal
      life. Your body will drop. Your thoughts and emotions will stop. These things have never had any permanence whatsoever. The only
      thing about them that never changes is that they are always
      changing. Our Witness is the only part of us that has been
      changeless and is the only part of us that has the possibility
      of surviving death.You are not your body, you are not your
      emotions, you are not your mind. The Witness is the Real Self.
      When you meditate it is the Witness who will recognize that
      you have stopped concentrating, or are distracted, or are
      demeaning yourself. You then can stop it and direct your consciousness to what is appropriate. This is Real Self-control.

      This puts you in the position of benefiting greatly when your
      attempt at meditation "fails". You will begin to recognize not
      just that you have lost your concentration, but what caused you
      to divert your attention. Sometimes you will be able to become
      aware of habitual behaviors that have distracted you. For
      instance, sounds or other physical sensations may cause you
      to tense up or get emotional. Certain type thoughts or emotions,
      like lustful ones, may lead to diverting your focus. When these subconscious reactivities come to the surface under the light of
      the Witness, you will be free from their power.

      There is no doubt that if you realized that your head has been hurting because you have been banging it against a wall, you
      would stop doing it. And your pain would disappear. Similarly,
      when you cease reacting to the conscious and subconscious distractions that have been banging you around, your concentration will be firm and your meditation will flow freely to you,
      infinitely and eternally. These are the good things bad
      meditations present to you. Most importantly, they almost force
      you to seek refuge in your Witness, and the more you do, the more
      you realize and experience the reality of your union with the
      pure consciousness that is your real identity. And your suffering ends. So, when you are having a "bad" meditation, it is a
      tremendous opportunity to learn and evolve. All the things that
      have been interfering with your at-oneness with your Witness will
      be laid bare before you. Therefore, when you're having any type meditation, it's "good" and leads to the inevitable – living
      happily ever after.
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
        Just wanted to mention that when we get emails or talk
        to people about their having "bad" meditations, as you
        can see, we share this Concept of Meditation here. This
        week we had several such emails and conversations.

        When you stir up the dirt covering the surface
        of your field of heavenly dreams, dust always comes
        up. This is an opportunity to see "who" is reacting
        to it and Who" witnesses it, as well as just physically,
        mentally and emotionally reacting in a rote fashion .
        And that's "good".

        So, perhaps reading this again, or for the 1st time, will
        be of benefit to you. That is certainly the intention.
        Enjoy!