RE: [Meditation Society of America] Re: Meditation #37

  • Aideen Mckenna
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013

      Maybe if you go online & search “neti, neti”, you may find something that suits you.  “Neti” translates (roughly) as “not this”.  You sit in meditation asking yourself,  For example “Am I my body?” (You will be aware that you’re not).  “Am I my mind?” No, you aren’t. One can keep this up indefinitely – reinforcing your awareness that you aren’t form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on.  It encourages awareness that you are “anatta” (Pali), “anatman” (Sanskrit) – that there is no “you” at all.  It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be.  (I haven’t the words to explain it very well).

      Aideen

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
        "Aideen Mckenna" wrote:

        > Maybe if you go online & search neti, neti, you may find something that suits you. Neti translates (roughly) as not this. You sit in meditation asking yourself, For example Am I my body? (You will be aware that you're not). Am I my mind? No, you aren't. One can keep this up indefinitely reinforcing your awareness that you aren't form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on. It encourages awareness that you are anatta (Pali), anatman (Sanskrit) that there is no you at all. It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be. (I haven't the words to explain it very well).
        >
        > Aideen

        Yes, you do have the words...Thanks for sharing them Aideen!