Re: Meditation #37

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
      "Bobster999" wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I would like to know how do I incorporate this meditation into an actual meditation? I like what i read but how does that help me in a meditation? Thanks!

      Here's the technique from our site that is being referred to:

      Not the Body, Not the Mind, Not the Emotions (#37)

      Before we discuss who your Real Self is, we must understand
      who you are not:

      You are not your body

      You are not your mind

      You are not your emotions

      Here's why: Your body was first simply one cell that began
      dividing. Then you were a fetus, then a baby, a toddler,
      a child, a teen, a young adult, middle-aged and finally old.
      That means you have never been consistently in just one type
      of body over the long term. But even in any given moment,
      your atomic and sub-atomic composition is in a never-ending
      changing mode. Every inhalation brings trillions of atoms
      into your body and with every exhale, trillions leave. You have
      never been your body. Your body has never been a stable thing
      that you could call your own and possess for any given amount
      of time and yet you have maintained an identification with your
      body. When you think it looks good, you feel good. If someone
      says your body doesn't look right in their eyes, you get
      depressed. You constantly seek ways to stimulate the sense
      receptors in your body in ways that you have judged to be
      pleasant, but you have never found a lasting pleasurable
      sensation from these sense sensations. For instance, you seek
      to find pleasure from your taste buds and get and eat a chocolate
      ice cream cone. The sensation seems wonderful but soon after,
      you find you want another sense sensation and the chocolate
      sensation was at best just a momentary good thing and at worst,
      the cause of a stomach ache, a dripped-on or soiled garment,
      or even a weight gain. So, why do you chase after visual,
      tactile, sonar, odorous and tasty excitement and pleasure?
      Because you have an inate subconscious understanding that bliss
      is your eternal abode. But trying to experience bliss through
      the body is a mistake, a misunderstanding, an act of ignorance
      of your Real Identity.

      When you have a stomach ache, you cannot enjoy anything in life.
      But what happens when you fall asleep? Your pain and discomfort
      are gone. As a matter of fact, you may even dream that you are
      eating and enjoying chocolate ice cream and your stomach never
      felt better. From this example, it is clear that we think we are
      our body only when our mind is attached to it.

      We are also not our mind or emotions. This can be demonstrated
      by observing them for any amount of time. It will quickly become apparent that they change constantly. One moment, we are thinking
      of one subject and in a blink, we are thinking about something
      else. This is true even when we are meditating and trying to be one-pointed. Let's say we are meditating about water and are reviewing everything we know about water. Our inner sound track
      may go something like, "Water is fluid. It fills the objects that hold it. When you freeze it, it turns to ice." Now here comes
      a typical diversion -- "Ice is in ice cream. Boy, Ben and Jerry
      make good chocolate ice cream. I know they sell it at the 7-11
      down the street ... etc." And there you are -- well away from
      your goal of meditating on water and in your car heading for the
      7-11 to begin the process of acquiring another stomach ache.

      Your emotions are changeable. One minute you're feeling quite
      happy and the next you see a commercial on T.V. that implies that your will stink if you don't use one particular brand of deodarant and then you get depressed because you have been using another
      brand and now fear everyone will reject you, etc.

      So, because the body, mind, and emotions are constantly changing
      and thus can't be said to be the permanent you, who are you? You
      are the consciousness that can witness your body, mind, and
      emotions in action. This is your Real Self. Please appreciate
      what good news this is -- you are not limited to your sense perceptions, your thoughts, or your feelings. You are the
      infinite awareness. The more you identify yourself with the
      Inner Witness, the freer you are and the more potential you have
      to control your body, mind, and emotions. You can act instead of react. This freedom is far greater a wealth than all the gold in
      the world, for if you had all the gold in the world, you would instantly begin worrying that you would lose it. By not attaching yourself to anything that can be lost, like your body, mind, or emotions, you cease being a reactive slave and begin being at
      Peace, for your Real Self, your Witnessing Pure Consciousness
      is infinite, eternal, blissful Peace.

      Meditating on the reality of not being the body, mind, or
      emotions has brought Truth, Consciousness, and Bliss to
      practitioners for thousands of years. You need not sit in any particular pose or breathe in any specific pattern. Any time
      is the right time to do this illuminating meditation. Your heart
      has been yearning for this Wisdom. Filling your mind with these transcendental concepts is certainly more beneficial than
      worrying about egotistical desires or rehashing the past or fantasizing about the future. Try it, you'll love it and live
      happily ever after.
    • J.R.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
        Just repeating what i have already read does not help me in any way. Sorry, I dont know how to be any more clear in my question.

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
          --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "J.R." wrote:

          > Just repeating what i have already read does not help me in any way. Sorry, I dont know how to be any more clear in my question.

          Well JR, I thought that posting the actual technique/meditation
          you were referring to would allow the members of this forum to
          easily know what specific technique you were inquiring about.
          Just putting the #37 up possibly/probably wasn't informative
          enough. Also, perhaps if you read it again, you may "get IT".
          In any event, I wish you well.

        • Aideen Mckenna
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013

            Maybe if you go online & search “neti, neti”, you may find something that suits you.  “Neti” translates (roughly) as “not this”.  You sit in meditation asking yourself,  For example “Am I my body?” (You will be aware that you’re not).  “Am I my mind?” No, you aren’t. One can keep this up indefinitely – reinforcing your awareness that you aren’t form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on.  It encourages awareness that you are “anatta” (Pali), “anatman” (Sanskrit) – that there is no “you” at all.  It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be.  (I haven’t the words to explain it very well).

            Aideen

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
              "Aideen Mckenna" wrote:

              > Maybe if you go online & search neti, neti, you may find something that suits you. Neti translates (roughly) as not this. You sit in meditation asking yourself, For example Am I my body? (You will be aware that you're not). Am I my mind? No, you aren't. One can keep this up indefinitely reinforcing your awareness that you aren't form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on. It encourages awareness that you are anatta (Pali), anatman (Sanskrit) that there is no you at all. It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be. (I haven't the words to explain it very well).
              >
              > Aideen

              Yes, you do have the words...Thanks for sharing them Aideen!