Meditation #37

  • Bobster999
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
      Hi,
      I would like to know how do I incorporate this meditation into an actual meditation? I like what i read but how does that help me in a meditation? Thanks!
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
        "Bobster999" wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I would like to know how do I incorporate this meditation into an actual meditation? I like what i read but how does that help me in a meditation? Thanks!

        Here's the technique from our site that is being referred to:

        Not the Body, Not the Mind, Not the Emotions (#37)

        Before we discuss who your Real Self is, we must understand
        who you are not:

        You are not your body

        You are not your mind

        You are not your emotions

        Here's why: Your body was first simply one cell that began
        dividing. Then you were a fetus, then a baby, a toddler,
        a child, a teen, a young adult, middle-aged and finally old.
        That means you have never been consistently in just one type
        of body over the long term. But even in any given moment,
        your atomic and sub-atomic composition is in a never-ending
        changing mode. Every inhalation brings trillions of atoms
        into your body and with every exhale, trillions leave. You have
        never been your body. Your body has never been a stable thing
        that you could call your own and possess for any given amount
        of time and yet you have maintained an identification with your
        body. When you think it looks good, you feel good. If someone
        says your body doesn't look right in their eyes, you get
        depressed. You constantly seek ways to stimulate the sense
        receptors in your body in ways that you have judged to be
        pleasant, but you have never found a lasting pleasurable
        sensation from these sense sensations. For instance, you seek
        to find pleasure from your taste buds and get and eat a chocolate
        ice cream cone. The sensation seems wonderful but soon after,
        you find you want another sense sensation and the chocolate
        sensation was at best just a momentary good thing and at worst,
        the cause of a stomach ache, a dripped-on or soiled garment,
        or even a weight gain. So, why do you chase after visual,
        tactile, sonar, odorous and tasty excitement and pleasure?
        Because you have an inate subconscious understanding that bliss
        is your eternal abode. But trying to experience bliss through
        the body is a mistake, a misunderstanding, an act of ignorance
        of your Real Identity.

        When you have a stomach ache, you cannot enjoy anything in life.
        But what happens when you fall asleep? Your pain and discomfort
        are gone. As a matter of fact, you may even dream that you are
        eating and enjoying chocolate ice cream and your stomach never
        felt better. From this example, it is clear that we think we are
        our body only when our mind is attached to it.

        We are also not our mind or emotions. This can be demonstrated
        by observing them for any amount of time. It will quickly become apparent that they change constantly. One moment, we are thinking
        of one subject and in a blink, we are thinking about something
        else. This is true even when we are meditating and trying to be one-pointed. Let's say we are meditating about water and are reviewing everything we know about water. Our inner sound track
        may go something like, "Water is fluid. It fills the objects that hold it. When you freeze it, it turns to ice." Now here comes
        a typical diversion -- "Ice is in ice cream. Boy, Ben and Jerry
        make good chocolate ice cream. I know they sell it at the 7-11
        down the street ... etc." And there you are -- well away from
        your goal of meditating on water and in your car heading for the
        7-11 to begin the process of acquiring another stomach ache.

        Your emotions are changeable. One minute you're feeling quite
        happy and the next you see a commercial on T.V. that implies that your will stink if you don't use one particular brand of deodarant and then you get depressed because you have been using another
        brand and now fear everyone will reject you, etc.

        So, because the body, mind, and emotions are constantly changing
        and thus can't be said to be the permanent you, who are you? You
        are the consciousness that can witness your body, mind, and
        emotions in action. This is your Real Self. Please appreciate
        what good news this is -- you are not limited to your sense perceptions, your thoughts, or your feelings. You are the
        infinite awareness. The more you identify yourself with the
        Inner Witness, the freer you are and the more potential you have
        to control your body, mind, and emotions. You can act instead of react. This freedom is far greater a wealth than all the gold in
        the world, for if you had all the gold in the world, you would instantly begin worrying that you would lose it. By not attaching yourself to anything that can be lost, like your body, mind, or emotions, you cease being a reactive slave and begin being at
        Peace, for your Real Self, your Witnessing Pure Consciousness
        is infinite, eternal, blissful Peace.

        Meditating on the reality of not being the body, mind, or
        emotions has brought Truth, Consciousness, and Bliss to
        practitioners for thousands of years. You need not sit in any particular pose or breathe in any specific pattern. Any time
        is the right time to do this illuminating meditation. Your heart
        has been yearning for this Wisdom. Filling your mind with these transcendental concepts is certainly more beneficial than
        worrying about egotistical desires or rehashing the past or fantasizing about the future. Try it, you'll love it and live
        happily ever after.
      • J.R.
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
          Just repeating what i have already read does not help me in any way. Sorry, I dont know how to be any more clear in my question.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
            --- In meditationsocietyofamerica@yahoogroups.com, "J.R." wrote:

            > Just repeating what i have already read does not help me in any way. Sorry, I dont know how to be any more clear in my question.

            Well JR, I thought that posting the actual technique/meditation
            you were referring to would allow the members of this forum to
            easily know what specific technique you were inquiring about.
            Just putting the #37 up possibly/probably wasn't informative
            enough. Also, perhaps if you read it again, you may "get IT".
            In any event, I wish you well.

          • Aideen Mckenna
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013

              Maybe if you go online & search “neti, neti”, you may find something that suits you.  “Neti” translates (roughly) as “not this”.  You sit in meditation asking yourself,  For example “Am I my body?” (You will be aware that you’re not).  “Am I my mind?” No, you aren’t. One can keep this up indefinitely – reinforcing your awareness that you aren’t form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on.  It encourages awareness that you are “anatta” (Pali), “anatman” (Sanskrit) – that there is no “you” at all.  It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be.  (I haven’t the words to explain it very well).

              Aideen

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 7, 2013
                "Aideen Mckenna" wrote:

                > Maybe if you go online & search neti, neti, you may find something that suits you. Neti translates (roughly) as not this. You sit in meditation asking yourself, For example Am I my body? (You will be aware that you're not). Am I my mind? No, you aren't. One can keep this up indefinitely reinforcing your awareness that you aren't form, nor are you any of the life roles that you play, nor are you your conditioning .. & so on. It encourages awareness that you are anatta (Pali), anatman (Sanskrit) that there is no you at all. It can help toward the realization that Reality is not what appears to be. (I haven't the words to explain it very well).
                >
                > Aideen

                Yes, you do have the words...Thanks for sharing them Aideen!