Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Feb 4, 2013
      Who am I?

      “Who am I? I search for the I, the real I. Without the I,
      of course, the ego can call itself the I, but who is the
      real Iâ€"without connecting itself to anythingâ€"just the pure
      I alone? Ask, who am I? I am a woman. What makes me a woman?
      Of course, if I don’t have this physical form, I can’t be
      called a woman; I must be a man. So it is the body that makes
      me a woman? Am I a mother? Yes, I am a mother. So, before the
      child, what was I? I was not a mother then. I am named mother
      because of the child. I am Mrs. So-and-So. Ah, and before the
      wedding? I was a Miss. So, likewise, ask yourself, ‘Who am I?’
      Go back, ask one question after another. That is the way to
      find out whom you are. You can sit and meditate, ask this
      question, again and again. Analyze yourself. Know your Self.

      “God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti.”

      Get Integral Yoga's first app for iPhone and iPad, available on iTunes.
      Search for The Daily Guru.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda