Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 195 , Jan 26, 2013
      Desire to Be Desire-less

      "Someone once asked me: `Swamiji, isn't it a desire
      to be desire-less?' It is, but what is your desire?
      To become desire-less? If your desire is to become
      desire-less, you need at least one desire! Because
      only with a desire can we get rid of other desires.
      But select one desire that will remove all other
      desires and will go off by itself later on. If you
      wash your clothes with soap, you're in essence applying
      new-smelling dirt to remove the old, bad-smelling dirt.
      Then, once you put the clothes in water and rinse them,
      what happens? The old dirt goes and do you think the
      new dirt remains? No. That also goes. So, we call to
      one desire: `Come here, you seem to be a good desire.
      Come and play with the rest of my desires, take them out
      with you and you go too.' Then, you'll be desire-less.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Get the first Integral Yoga app for iPhone and iPad,
      available on iTunes.
      Search for The Daily Guru.
      Message 195 of 195 , Apr 16

        The Right Thing

        How do you know if what you decide to do is the right thing? It's very simple. The right thing will not affect your health and happiness. That's all. Anything that would affect your physical and mental peace, your health and happiness, is wrong. Anything. This might bring another question: "Suppose I want to help somebody who is troubled and that affects me. Should I do it or not?" If you are joyfully serving someone, even going through some pain doesn't affect you. You are still happy; you are simply using a little of your energy to help someone. You can't call that unhappiness.

        Sometimes when you help somebody, you feel depressed. Why is that? It is because you had expectations. "I am helping that person. The person should accept my help and get the benefit." When you don't see that person getting the benefit you expected, you get upset. That means it's not a selfless act, it's a selfish act. "I did something and I want a result."

        That doesn't mean there shouldn't be positive thoughts behind your actions. Certainly send your prayers, think about the welfare of the person. The difference is this: you want him to be happy of course, but you don't demand it. You are not attached to the outcome; you leave that up to God.

        In simple words, I would say an action without any selfish expectation whatsoever is a right action. Such an act will never disturb your mind or body.

        Om Shanti, Om Shanti, Om Shanti

        SwamiSatchidananda