Words of Wisdom by Swami Satchidananda

    Message 1 of 200 , Jan 26, 2013
      Desire to Be Desire-less

      "Someone once asked me: `Swamiji, isn't it a desire
      to be desire-less?' It is, but what is your desire?
      To become desire-less? If your desire is to become
      desire-less, you need at least one desire! Because
      only with a desire can we get rid of other desires.
      But select one desire that will remove all other
      desires and will go off by itself later on. If you
      wash your clothes with soap, you're in essence applying
      new-smelling dirt to remove the old, bad-smelling dirt.
      Then, once you put the clothes in water and rinse them,
      what happens? The old dirt goes and do you think the
      new dirt remains? No. That also goes. So, we call to
      one desire: `Come here, you seem to be a good desire.
      Come and play with the rest of my desires, take them out
      with you and you go too.' Then, you'll be desire-less.

      "God bless you. Om Shanti, Shanti, Shanti."

      Get the first Integral Yoga app for iPhone and iPad,
      available on iTunes.
      Search for The Daily Guru.
      Message 200 of 200 , Feb 9, 2016
        Watch your mind. Watch your breath. Become an observer, which is the key to Jnana Yoga. Don’t worry about particular techniques. Just sit back and observe the breath, mind, and thoughts. Just see what’s happening within you. Become a witness, which is a wonderful form of meditation. Be still and watch what is happening in your mind and in your body. Maybe you have been repeating a mantra or focusing on one object for a time. You may then relax and sit calmly and watch the mind; observe the peaceful vibrations that come. Listen to the silence completely. Observe your own brain. See how peaceful you are. The mind seems to be totally at rest. You might think the mind is almost asleep, yet you are still conscious of the whole thing. The body is resting. The breath has very much slowed. The mind is almost sleeping but you are aware of everything.

        Ask yourself, “Who is aware of them? What is this awareness? Who knows all these things? That is You, the Knower. You are totally different from your body, from your mind. You are the witness—what you call the Self, the pure Self—the witness of the body and mind. If you could maintain this witnessing constantly, still knowing you are the witness all the time, you would reach Self-awareness or

        Self-realization. Keep up this awareness, even in your day-to-day activities. When you are eating, when you are walking, and especially when you are distressed, you can still witness. You will constantly enjoy supreme peace. Through this practice you become the master of your own body and mind. You’ll walk through life like an undisturbed sage.